Which Bike?

Jdog74
Jdog74 Posts: 6
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
All,

thanks in advance for your input, and sorry its another which one for the newby post!!

I'm looking to take my first step into road cycling, based on cost / kit and of course most important looks, i have 3 in my short list as follows..

2012 Giant Defy 2
Cannondale CAAD8 6 TIA 2012
BMC Streetracer SR01 Tiagra

I really like the BMC so far on kit and looks but I know that the make or break will be putting my backside in the saddle and testing, hopefully i'll have given all 3 a go by the weekend.

I'm buying on the cycle scheme so pretty much spending what i can within reason (sub a grand), i plan to get a lot of use and normally keep my bikes for many years so even though I'm pretty much a newb to this area i expect to make the most of it when it comes, plus i cant get the miles in with my current bike on the road so i need to get a bike built for the task.

i was wondering if you had any advice on the above bikes - any pros/cons which i should be aware of when considering these so that I can take it into consideration when i buy - there are loads of really nice bikes out there which only makes it more difficult to choose and i have already changed my mind a few times and increased my spend having done a good bit of research - there are many like them but this one is mine...or will be soon hopefully.

Thanks for your wisdom.
J.

Comments

• stevepr
    stevepr Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    Well I`ve not ridden all of these bikes but the Giant Defy 2 I have and I would certainly recommend it.
    Its had a couple of good reviews too, I think. The frame is great and at the end of the day that is the important part, you can always upgrade other bits if you think you need to.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    They're all solid choices that have reviewed well so get the one that fits/looks the best.

The only thing is that of the three the Giant should be the most comfortable and the BMC the harshest.
  • Jdog74
    Thanks,

I was really impressed with the Giant , and it quickly replaced the Allez which had been on my list, the Giant was giving more for the money and felt solid and comfy. I did think the Giant and Cannondale had a lot of own brand parts though and that was one of things i was unsure about, i'm hoping that i'll only be repalcing through wear and tear to begin with - but yes i can then upgrade and they have had good reviews.

thanks for the posts.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Jdog74 wrote:
    Thanks,

I was really impressed with the Giant , and it quickly replaced the Allez which had been on my list, the Giant was giving more for the money and felt solid and comfy. I did think the Giant and Cannondale had a lot of own brand parts though and that was one of things i was unsure about, i'm hoping that i'll only be repalcing through wear and tear to begin with - but yes i can then upgrade and they have had good reviews.

thanks for the posts.

Own brand parts aren't something to be too worried about -> I have a Defy 1 and the Giant finishing kit is all nice (but you won't get the carbon seatpost on the defy 2)

I've also been impressed with the Giant wheels (made in partnership with DT Swiss I think).
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc ... e-ec031071

If you like the BMC spend a little extra and get the 105 version

stupidly cheap for a full 105 setup

Just recommended this to my brother (his first road bike as well), he loved it and is getting it on cycle to work
  • Jdog74
    Cheers Chris,

Evans was my choice for the SR01 - the 2 BMC bikes are pretty much identicle other than the groupset and brake calipers, based on the Tiagra at £800 and 105 at £999, is the diffence in the groupset worth the money/noticable?
  • Chris87
    personally I would do it, when your paying on cycle to work £200 extra is nothing for such an upgrade on the groupset, it may mean you dont have much to spend on clothing/accessories but as long as you shop around you can find great deals on gear anyway, and theres always DHB stuff from wiggle, some people turn their noses up at it but I think its great and saves you a ton of cash.
  • Jdog74
    I'm not much of a snob when it comes to a badge, i've manage to kit myself out this year between Lidl and Decathlon it may not be pretty or the best but it does the Job and is cheap - so yes given the choice i'd rather spend it all on the tech.

Has you brother collected his yet...if so is he happy so far? some say the tyres are good so long as its not raining, so i'll probibly consider an altertnative/spare set - but then again that could be said for all the bikes on my list.
  • Chris87
    No he's waiting to pick it up now, if it helps he tried a spesh allez and cube peloton race before I recommended the BMC and said it was miles ahead of the others, cant speak for the tyres though it might be worth chatting to evans and seeing if they will swap them out for a more all weather set, though to be honest you would probably end up wanting a seperate summer and winter set anyway, also I think you get a £50 accessories voucher at evans when you buy it (brother was going to spend it on pedals) so you could put that towards new tyres.

Ha I'll second Lidl and Decathlon, bought one of the Lidl compression thermals last winter and its amazing, just wish they went to XS on some of the jersey and arm/leg warmers
  • Jdog74
    Thanks for your posts Chris...there is now a new contender on my list, hopefully i'lll be placing my order this weekend so i'll let you know the outcome - seems to be the BMC/Giant at the moment and as i'm pushing my budget to 105's i'll look at the Defy 1 as well.

Cheers
    J.