Corroded battery contact

tinfoilzombie
tinfoilzombie Posts: 3
edited April 2013 in The workshop
Hi,

I've just went to get the bike lights out for the darker evenings and my wife's front light isn't working. It looks like the batteries have corroded a bit over the contact. Is there any way to clean this up, or replace the contact somehow?

It is a Trek branded light like this one http://bontrager.com/model/07324 with 5 LEDs. They probably work fine, so it would be a shame to have to throw away the whole unit because of the dodgy contact.

Thanks

tinfoilzombie

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You might be able to get at the contact with a screwdriver wrapped in sandpaper or similar and just rub the corrosion off to create a contact.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Thanks redvee - I'll have a go at that.
  • If you rub a bit too hard and end up damaging the contact, you can make it right again by folding some tin foil a few times and placing that between the battery and the contact.
  • If you rub a bit too hard and end up damaging the contact, you can make it right again by folding some tin foil a few times and placing that between the battery and the contact.

Kind of like a tinfoilwedgie rather than a tinfoilzombie ? ? ?.....sorry...... D
  • I've used small emery boards that my wife has in to do her nails to some success in claening up corroded contacts. You can cut them to size to get in small spaces too as they are cardboard backed.
  • When clean & working place a small amount of vaseline on all terminals to prevent further "gunging".( not all grease is conductive)
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Best thing for battery corrosion is a cotton wool bud soaked in vinegar. Batteries are alkaline and the vinegar will wash off the corrosion without damaging the metal underneath. Wipe dry and that should do it.
  • barrie h
    barrie h Posts: 102
    Use bicarbonate of soda ( baking powder ) in water, paint it on and leave it over night then wash it of , dry it and check for damage
    I use this and it works

Barrie