a very odd question

jon3619
jon3619 Posts: 75
edited October 2012 in MTB beginners
hey,

does anybody know if there is suppose to be alot of wheel movement when braking with a disc type brake? because the disc is on one side of the wheel does it move that way when you brake? i get no wobble when i move the wheel side to side when its stationary. only when i brake suddenly it looks like it moves to the left.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shouln't move, sounds like your QR isn't tight enough, the caliper is behind the wheel so the disc reaction pushes the left side of the axle down and the top of the wheel/tyre across to the left.

NO it's not the wheel flexing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is the bike and fork?
  • jon3619
    the bike is the carrera vengeance. the fork is a suntour model dunno which one is this dangerous and how do i tighten it?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to describe the movement a bit more. Does the brake rub? Some fork flex is not unusual.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    loose spokes. have the wheel checked.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jon3619
    it was hard to see cause it was dark but if im looking directly down on the wheel over the handlebars when i brake the wheel seems to look like it moves to the left as in just the wheel not the whole frame. i touch the wheel and fork when not moving and it seems to be solid. i did think the QR lever didnt seem to give much resistance when undoing it the other day
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To remove the front wheel you have to undo the nut to clear the 'lawyers lips' on the bottom of the fork, presumably you did the nut back up when you refitted it? The QR should be tight enough to leave a mark on your hand when you do it up (but not cause pain!).

Not sure about Nicks comment at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.