BB30 and chainsets.

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've just bought a new Niner AIR9 frameset and it has the pressfit BB30. This is the first time Ive come accross this system so buying a chainset is proving to be a little tricky.

Gear set up is a 9spd, I have seen some cheap FSA BB30 chainsets on CRC and wondered if anyone had an opinoin on them, always had XT and rated them.

Chainsets Im looking at are the following

FSA Afterburner BB30 Chainset
FSA V-Drive BB30 Chainset

Both are sigificantly reduced and wondered whether they are worth the buy. The frame is the Alloy not the carbon so im not after watching the grams!

Cheers in advance. :)
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is it press fit BB30 or is it BB30

they are not the same.

what is the diameter of the hole?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • scale20
    This is from Niners site

PF30 BOTTOM BRACKET
    There are several BB standards to choose from – for our dedicated geared only race bike we like PF30. It’s compatible with any BB30 crankset and the bearing cups are delightfully easy to install. The oversized 30mm spindle is light and resists the torque of even the mightiest Ninerds. Oversized bearings spin longer and smoother between overhauls.

The shell is 73 mm. I take it I just get the press fit BB and as above any BB30 crank will fit so long as its compatible with the 73mm shell?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • shayv
    shayv Posts: 3
    Hi

I'm having the exact same dilemma - AIR9, XT crank, thinking on replacing it to the FSA-V-DRIVE BB30.
    have you done this change? any results?

Thanks

Shay
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a bb30 is not the same as a PF BB30.

the bearings are a different fitting.
    what are you really wanting to do?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's not necessarily the issue though, a BB30 chainset fits in a PF30 frame. Or... You can get adapters (Wheels Manufacturing seem the best) and stick with your XT. I'd do that rather than use a cheap FSA chainset.
  • scale20
    I have that Chainset on my AIR 9

002-1.jpg

So far I have no complaints with it, its a touch heavier that the XT but thats not an issue for me.

BB30 is new to me so I had to nip into my LBS for a bit of advice and get the right BB. Mine is press fit you just need to get the right diameter BB for your BB shell.

Just found the box for mine, its 46-30mm press fit BB. So its a 30mm BB that fits in a 46mm (diameter) BB shell
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • shayv
    Hi scale20

I have the exact bike - Niner AIR9, with PF30.
    Assuming I'm buying the FSA V-drive bb30 chainset:
    1. did you bought it from ChainReaction? is it comes with the bearings? (in the item description bearings not appears, but I contacted them, and they said it does come with the bearings...)
    2.my AIR-9 BB diameter is 46 mm (same as yours) can you send a link to the exact BB you used?
    3. is there any other part I need to take in account when doing this swap?

Thanks
    Shay
  • scale20
    Yeah, I got the chaiset from CRC. It comes with bearings but Ive not used them, the bearings were already with the BB I had fitted at my LBS.

This is the BB I have fitted to my AIR 9

http://www.velotechservices.co.uk/shop/ ... 7410001938

When this BB is fitted you dont really need anything else appart from an FSA BB30 spanner for the non drive side crank arm, they're about £15 to buy I just took mine to my LBS rather than buy the spanner.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=36375
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • shayv
    Thanks for the detailed response - now it's clearer.
    I found a good web page that explain the BB differences:
    http://support.canadabicycleparts.com/entries/21025961-how-to-buy-a-press-fit-bottom-bracket
    Thanks again
    Shay