Orange P7

ithymanbags
ithymanbags Posts: 26
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi,
Im from the the skinny tyre tarmac clang looking for a xc moutain bike to hit the dirt with. Nothing to mad a bit of gravel and dirt.
I really like the look of P7, some of the older stuff and more recent.
So i came across this bike which is local and i liked the look of but am i getting confused, is this a jump bike? a xc bike with jump forks (upgraded byb owner)?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230858648116? ... 1438.l2649

Is the P7 what i should be looking at? I like slopping top tubes, and no tubing to oversized.

Any advice would be fab. £600 2nd hand price bracket. Thanks Tom

Comments

• Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    edited October 2012
    A p7 is a trail bike, not really a lightweight xc racer, but will do a job - the one thing about it is that it is a 15" frame. That's pretty small.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The P7 is pretty heavy (6lbs for the frame alone), and I wouldn't pay the asking price there. it is what is known as a 'trail bike' ie set up for general trail riding, small drops etc. Not as racy as a pure cross country bike, but not as hard hitting as a 'All mountain' bike, though the frame will take a bigger fork.

i think there is better to be had for the money.
  • Thanks guys,
    Any ideas for me to search out on a good light xc bike at this price 2nd hand?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hard to recommend any one particular bike, but I'd be looking for a Boardman Pro. The KHS and Radon range are very good value for new, often better than some second hand deals!
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    id be putting my money on a boardman comp for £650 less with discounts they get pretty decent reviews.
    If the owner of the orange couldnt be bothered cleaning it for the pics i doubt theyve bothered doing doing anything else to it either !
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you like the look of the P7 have a look at the Charge Duster or Cooker. Both are excellent xc bikes.
  • If you like the look of the P7 have a look at the Charge Duster or Cooker. Both are excellent xc bikes.

That charge duster is sexy!!! Will now do my home work on it. :wink:
  • If you like the look of the P7 have a look at the Charge Duster or Cooker. Both are excellent xc bikes.

I just changed to a duster frame and oh lordy im in love!

I just changed to a duster frame and oh lordy im in love!

How do you find the sizing? im 5.9 with a inseam of 29 so im thinking 17.5inch frame?
  • rockmonkeysc
    I'm 6'1" and a large (19"?) is just about big enough for me.
  • I have the medium 18" and the standover is 29" so you would be right on the limit.
  • Does that mean 17.5inch is to big for me then?
  • No it would be fine, but you wouldnt want to go a size larger!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Find a shop with one in stock and try for size.
    Duster rides really nicely.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Go and sit on one before you pick a size.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • P7 still for sale £700 ?
  • Hey guys,
    I decided on a charge duster and got the bike cheap from Rutland cycles. I need to find your opinons on the spec quoted by rutland.
    spec as follows:
    ...........................................................................................................

CHARGE DUSTER HI PURPLE TANGE STEEL 17.5" MOUNTAIN BIKE 2012 CLEARANCE

This bike has been used as a demonstration bike and it does show signs of use and therefore these are reflected within the selling price.

PLEASE DO NOT EXPECT A BIKE IN MINT CONDITION.

OK
    Frame Tange Prestige, Seamless, custom drawn, double butted skinny cro-mo
    Fork Rockshox Recon Silver Coil, 100mm, Rebound, TK Lockout
    Brakes Avid Elixir 3
    Levers Avid Elixir 3
    HeadsetFSA TH-875
    Stem Shield MTB, 31.8mm
    Handle bars Shield Plus MTB, DB, 700mm, 15mm, 31.8mm
    Pedals flats
    BB Truvativ GXP outboard
    Rims ALEX XD-Lite, DOUBLE WALL, 32H
    Grips New' Charge Griddle lock-on
    Tires Charge Splashback
    Saddle Charge Spoon
    Seatpost Shield, 2 bolt
    Seat Clamp Shield, bolt type
    Shift Levers SRAM X7 10/s
    Front Derailleur SRAM X7 Low mount 10/s
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X7 long cage 10/s
    Crankset SRAM X7 GXP 10S 39/26
    Cassette SRAM PG 1050 11-36t
    Front Hub SRAM X-7, 32h
    Rear Hub SRAM X-7, 32h

Please note that our bikes come in factory box and do require some assembly, professional setup advised

Note: Manufacturer may reserve the right to change the specification of that listed or shown on this page
    ..................................................................................................................................

So the bikes arrives and there a fair few scuffs and chips, probaly from bad handling at there end. But i cant argue as it was stated condition isnt mint ( so fair do's). Also the bike looks as if its never been riden because dust that thick cannot stick to metal traveling into a breeze. Plus the tyres are spottless.
    My complaint is this, the FORKS, They stated in the spec "Fork Rockshox Recon Silver Coil, 100mm, Rebound, TK Lockout".
    What arrived was all of the above but no lockout, where the turn key should be there is a hexagon spanner type black plastic cap like what you get on entry level audi or lidil bikes. Wierd!
    At the bottom it states " Manufacturer may reserve the right to change the specification of that listed or shown on this page" .
    Im not being funny but this isnt a manu change is it? Its more of a another bike needed it in the past and it never got replaced.

Please give me your thoughts, Thanks Tom
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    edited October 2012
    Ignore me!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes with lockout!!!!!

I've never worried about lockout or otherwise on an MTB to be honest... I wouldn't reject the bike on that basis but if you can get a few quid back for it.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah its pretty important to me as iv got some climbs to do on road before i even get off road.
    I rang them and they asked to email some pics of the fork. Not sure he understood what i was on about. So will see what they say.
    Wondering if they have just pinched the turn key from my fork and i can get a replacement??? Or is that just wishimg??