SD card problem.

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited October 2012 in The hub
I have windows XP, and my computer won't read an SD card - asks me to format it. I try to format it and it says it can not complete the format! It reads fine in my mates mac, so is not the card.

Any ideas how I can format the damn thing and use it again in my camera (I formatted it in the camera, still no joy).

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    does it have a little flip tag on it?

think record protection on the old cassette tapes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    Aye, that is set right.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    As you have Windows XP which is old perhaps you have an sd card reader which does not work with newer cards.

The one on my old laptop will not read or write to anything above 16GB for example.

Also is your reader perhaps SD and the card SDHC.?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Probably an issue with the size of disk versus format type (NTFS/FAT etc.) What size is it?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • mb5
    mb5 Posts: 19
    chances are it is in exFat format (all large SDs tend to be now).

XP is older than exFat so you need an update to get it to work on XP. Google for the update on the MS website.
  • supersonic
    Is a 4GB SDHC - will try some of the suggestions, thanks all.
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Did XP not suffer with anything greater than 2GB (something to do with NTFS)? (or did i imagine that)
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • Mike Deere
    Mike Deere Posts: 4,259
    What card reader are you using? Some older ones might only support SD (i.e. up to 2Gb) cards, not SDHC. Common occurence.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    supersonic wrote:
    Could be tha your card reader doesn't like SDHC. The one built into my Dell monitor doesn't, for example, but strangely, the older one, that's built into my ancient laptop, plays nice with them.
    jndb72 wrote:
    Did XP not suffer with anything greater than 2GB (something to do with NTFS)? (or did i imagine that)
    No, you're just making that up.
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    supersonic wrote:
    Could be tha your card reader doesn't like SDHC. The one built into my Dell monitor doesn't, for example, but strangely, the older one, that's built into my ancient laptop, plays nice with them.
    jndb72 wrote:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463

However, the limit was 4GB(ish) on FAT32 (long time since I had the need to dable with such detail)
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    jndb72 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    jndb72 wrote:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463

However, the limit was 4GB(ish) on FAT32 (long time since I had the need to dable with such detail)
    that's not an XP issue, it's a Fat32 issue, which is why, since Windows2000, it was strongly discouraged for users to run their systems on Fat32 disks.
  • supersonic
    Seems there were two problems - the camera creates a new folder sometimes, which confuses the computer. And my reader was faulty recognising the protect tab.