Cleaning bike with jet hose....does water get in the frame?

jimmies
jimmies Posts: 156
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I have a new Planet X RT57 carbon frame.....it has frame routed cables entering and exiting the top tube and the front mech cable comes up from under the BB through the frame (via a tiny tiny hole) to the mech.

Now if I was to clean the bike after a ride with a car pressure washer, am I likely to get water inside the frame? Are these holes, actually holes 'into' the frame or will the insides be sealed from the outside world. I know it won't matter too much with a carbon frame but I get I don't want the extra weight of water sloshing around the insides of the bike :lol:

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    There should be a hole in the bottom of the frame to let water out, so don't worry about that. However, its not really recommended to pressure wash a road bike. You'll in all likelihood force water into the sealed bearings (headset, bottom bracket, possibly hubs too) and then things will start to rust. You're better off with a brush, sponge and bucket of soapy water. Slightly less convenient but better for the bike.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    don't use a jetwash or hose ! water will get in through the holes, however there may be a little drain hole around the BB or stays - a jetwash could end up marking the surface of the carbon, which wouldn't structurally damage the frame but would look unsightly

a bucket and a cloth is fine, degreasant for the drivetrain
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • car wash wax not washing up liquid
  • jimmies
    jimmies Posts: 156
    I'll steer clear of the jetwash then.

I have bought a chain cleaner and the grease is starting to get quite black now so I should give it a clean. In terms of de-greasers/ re-greasers....is there a good one to go for? I'm getting my winter cleaning gear together
  • Also, to mention, a jet wash getting into the bearings can, over time, drive out the grease and lubricants, which means they won't last as long. Generally, it is better to clean a bike by hand, boring as it may be.
    I may love XC, but I won't shave my legs, dammit!
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    i do it by hand but wash off with a very gentle hose its no different from rain. thats not going to damage it or ingress into bearings as long as its gentle.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Exactly,

Rinse with a hose on a fine mist, and avoid aiming direct at the bearing areas. It is fine for a rinse off.
  • Scrumple wrote:
    Exactly,

Rinse with a hose on a fine mist, and avoid aiming direct at the bearing areas. It is fine for a rinse off.
    Seconded
    I may love XC, but I won't shave my legs, dammit!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I watched the banesto team mechanics washing their bikes.
    They used jet washers but never side on to the bearings.
    They also probably rebuild the bikes more than we do !
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    No end of the pro teams use a jet wash, you just use common sense. My BB30 has found a new lease of life since i started cleaning it with the jet wash!