Carrera Kraken - XC build update 15 aug

2»

Comments

• mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Quick update now it's been commuterised - I've changed the bars (the flat XC bars hurt my wrists), added some dorky mudguards & a rack.

The rack was a real pain to fit - the position of the rear calliper mount means the rack passes over the calliper mount bolt, and needed spacing out a bit. Its a shame I can't used my old rack (doesn't fit the kiddie seat) which had several different mounting "feet" - one of which was angle and would have cleared the calliper.

IMG_20130108_082809_zps0282d965.jpg

Carrera Kraken frame in XL
    Pipedream infinity fork
    Ritchey comp seatpost
    Ritchey comp stem
    Ritchey WCS headset
    Selle Italia saddle
    Bikehut lock on grips
    Gravity maximus bars
    Elixir 3 & 5 calipers, code 5 levers, G3 rotors @ 160mm
    SRAM PG970 block
    Deore shadow rear mech, XT front mech
    Stylo cranks, Truvativ BB, FSA chainrings
    KMC Z9 chain
    XT shifters, XT cables
    XT hubs, DT plain gauge, Bonty Explorer rims
    Conti City tyres, set up tubeless
    Full length guards, no idea of manuf
    Blackburn EX rack, to attach mrmonkfinger junior's seat

Technically, spend is up by about £30 as I stole the bars from my other bike and thus had to replace them, so total is about £300 now.

Also the wheels need to be returned to their rightful owner... so some new ones will be needed. Ho hum.
  • mrmonkfinger
    Quick update. The bike has shed a pound or so.

The lardy 2kg+ Bontrager Ranger wheelset has been swapped for a pair of Laserdisc XCs that come in around 1.7kg.

I got shot of the old seat, which was damn uncomfortable after about 30 mins, and replaced with a flyweight Felt road bike saddle.

Also, swapped the PG970 block for a PG990 - I wasn't using my spare MTB wheels very often so they get the 970.

I'm also keeping my eye out for a second hand XT rear mech, the Deore shadow mech will then go to OH's trail bike which currently has a slightly tired old regular Deore mech.

The WTB hoops cost around £80 to put together (from parts), which was pretty good, seeing as WTB still want around £300 for a pre-built set.

wtblaserdischubs.JPG
    IMG_20130205_212332_zpsc59b86ee.jpg
    IMG_20130205_211925_zps1b944d00.jpg
    IMG_20130205_211808_zpsbd3d5ff8.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shame it's not an MTB any more, nice wheel choice though!

Looks more like a Subway now!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mrmonkfinger
    Not an MTB? A few minutes to remove the mudguards & rack and stick on some knobblies and it'd be right there :)
  • mrmonkfinger
    Borrowed my better half's trail wheels for a quick ride in the snow. Might do this a bit more permanently when summer arrives (wheels not snow)...

Need more height on the bars though - I think it'll need me to swap the forks for something with a longer steerer.

IMG_20130323_143452_zpsef46775d.jpg
  • mrmonkfinger
    Bit of an update as per the Carrera hardtail thread...
    IMG_20130813_074655_zps09111fc5.jpg
    IMG_20130813_074624_zpse4223281.jpg

Hello Carrera folks!

The rigid fork & commuting clobber has gone - it's back to its roots as an XC machine :D

Specs and so forth:

Frame, Kraken 'XC spec' (2009?)
    Fork, Suntour Epicon X1 lite RL-R 100mm
    Wheelset, WTB Laserdisc XC rims built with ACI DB spokes on Laserdisc Lite hubs
    Tyres, ITS System 5 in narrow 2.0
    Drivetrain, SRAM Stylo cranks, FSA chainrings, KMC Z9 chain, SRAM PG990 block
    Shifting, NOS 2005 XT shifters, XT front mech, deore shadow rear mech
    Stopping, Avid - Code (old, juicy style) levers, Elixir 3 & 5 callipers, 160mm discs
    Finishing kit; some mahoosive FSA DH riser bars which I will swap for some slightly smaller flatter XC bars, a 70mm stem from a Taiwanese Ebay shop, Ritchey Comp seatpost (which has a utterly useless clamp which never stays put - its for the chop), flyweight Felt road saddle (surprisingly comfy), Bikehut lock on grips, Ritchey WCS headset

The Suntour Epicon is pretty damn impressive for £150 - 1.6kg, good damper, remote lockout. Only been out on it a couple of times so far, but it compares very well to my '08 RS Recon Race (air sprung, motion control damper, lockout).