New vs Old

dhope
dhope Posts: 6,699
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Right, this is a sly attempt at a 'what is it worth' thread, despite them not being allowed in them there rules - don't tell Chasey.

My lil' Sis is after a bike. She is little though, around 5'1", and struggling to find anything decent in mini sizes. So I saw this pop up over on the other forum and am going to take a look this evening.

DSCF4696.jpg
Handbuilt steel Ron Cooper, probably 15yrs old. Either F&F for £170 or full bike with full Athena group for £440, around 1k mileage.

Now for £440 I could either get a pretty basic new bike - Sora/subSora. Or a 1-3yr old something with Tiagra - but they seem to be a bit thin on the ground in XS/XXS sizes.
Or something like the above - a bit more classic with a nice group. Probably weighs slightly more(?), or does it - I'd expect a nicely made steel jobbie with Campag wouldn't be the heaviest thing in the world?

What would you do.
Rose Xeon CW Disc
CAAD12 Disc
Condor Tempo

Comments

• That looks rather nice.
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    Is it a double on it? guessing it will be based on the age of the bike, is it hilly where she will be riding as the extra cost of then fitting a compact or gearing out the cassette if you can find one of 8 speed will all add to the cost.
    I have a steel bike and the weight difference is not vast when you have a quality frame but obviously is there.
    The price is not ridiculous for a bke of that age if mint and IMHO you get alot more for your money for that than a cheaper ally frame with low set shimano on it.
    Handbuilt frame with athena on it , would guess that the likes of Mr Roche, Kelly, Millar and Yates all got by on them a few years ago !!!
    +1 on undercover elephant's comment as well which is crucial in the decision making process !!
    Good luck with the hunt for a suitable steed!
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    That is purdy! Much nicer than any new bike around that price in the market I reckon.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    That groupset is prehistoric. I reckon £440 is a bit steep, unless the frame is really something special. There's a nice kid size Viner on the bay at the moment - might be too small but you never know.
  • dhope
    Wont be that hilly, she's moving to London. It's 8 speed Athena, yep.

From the ad
    http://www.lfgss.com/thread90080.html
    Filet brazed steel frame of unknown tubing. The tubing is slightly oval at both ends. Seat post is 27.2mm diameter.
    I think this bike was built around 1997 or 98. I bought it in 1999 and hardly used it since. 8 speed Athena groupset including aero seatpost and headset. Rims are Mavic Reflex, both tires could do with replacing, the original ones perished and some equally old ones have been thrown on. Some scratches on the paint work on the top tube and seat tube.

And it is pretty...
    DSCF4697.jpg
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    dhope wrote:
    Now for £440 I could either get a pretty basic new bike - Sora/subSora.

The difference is it would be worth much less than £440 as soon as you handed over the money - where as the Ron Cooper would be worth, roughly, £440.

And it's much nicer......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dhope
    Rolf F wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Now for £440 I could either get a pretty basic new bike - Sora/subSora.

The difference is it would be worth much less than £440 as soon as you handed over the money - where as the Ron Cooper would be worth, roughly, £440.

And it's much nicer......
    There is that. If she doesn't get on with it then not too much lost...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    I'm biased as I'm the owner of a 90s steel frame with 8 speed Athena, but I'd snaffle that up for Ms O if she were smaller (although the stem and bar tape would go in a flash). I see it has a wishbone seat stay - which I like even though the benefits are dubious!

I'd check the ergo shifters still have a positive "click" when engaging as you don't want to be having to buy 2nd hand ones or go for a rebuild in a few months. I reckon the frame will have scratches and flea bites, but that's to be expected - look out for serious corrosion though. I'd also check that the seat-post is not stuck, wheels are true/spoke tension etc and that the headset is not graunchy.

I'd look at the BB shell to get the frame number and contact Ron Cooper (I believe he is in his 80s now) to try and discover what the tubing is. It could be something quite exotic like Columbus mini-max, or not!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    dhope wrote:
    ..........Or something like the above - a bit more classic with a nice group. Probably weighs slightly more(?), or does it - I'd expect a nicely made steel jobbie with Campag wouldn't be the heaviest thing in the world?

What would you do.
    Well my Master and Centaur is around 9kgs if that's anything to go by.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.