stuck between two hardtails

aodavies2001
aodavies2001 Posts: 4
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I'm stuck deciding between two bikes and was hoping you guys could give me your opinions

Choices are:

Whyte 629 http://www.whytebikes.com/2013/product. ... 36&xSec=85

and

Cube Ltd http://www.cube.eu/en/hard/cross-country/ltd-29/

The Whyte is in my LBS but would have to wait for the Cube till ?November?

Riding is going to be mainly tracks and paths, but am hoping to get to the woods when time allows.

Many thanks

Alex

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    MBUK just did a review of sub £1K 29ers......of the 2 the Cube is much better specced in the gearshifting dept, it also doesn't have the still suspect GXP BB, does come out HEAVY though (assuming the two weights are comparable).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    MBUK just did a review of sub £1K 29ers......of the 2 the Cube is much better specced in the gearshifting dept, it also doesn't have the still suspect GXP BB, does come out HEAVY though (assuming the two weights are comparable).
    wouldn't you say the fork was better too ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • The Rookie
    Yes.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    NOt a huge amount in it though, you're going from top end XC fork to low end recon, which is only 1 step up. Personally, I think the 2013 Whytes look great and I expect they will be more fun to ride than the Cube. Id get the Whyte myself.. even with the GXP.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Thanks for the replies so the cube has a better spec but white has a better frame? In the real world which is going to matter the most? Must admit I'm completely torn! The whyte is top of the budget where as the cube would give me an extra £100 to spend on bits, but it likely I'd have to wait until November if I want the cube?

Does a fork and gears etc make much of a difference? Or would I not notice the difference between say a whyte 529 and the 629 or the cube ltd or the attention/acid?

Sorry for all the questions it's just the more I look into it the more confused it all becomes. I appreciate the components will be better but will I notice the difference?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It can make a difference, but how much you noticed it is down to you. If you can't test them then you are a bit stuck really. The Cube is the better specced - there is little in the frame 'quality'.
  • bragawd
    bragawd Posts: 160
    Think I'd go for the cube as its spec'd up a bit better but the whyte is nice also.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    just to confuse you more, better specs cheaper prices http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/m52/k1 ... l?od=&ft=1
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • The Rookie
    In the recent MBUK group test the Norco Nitro (£900) and KHS Kuma (£1000) both scored 4/5 stars....
  • Thanks for all the advise! I decided on the white in the end, it just seemed to "fit" better. Picked it up this afternoon, but am away for the weekend, cant wait to get it muddy!