Skull cap or a cap?

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I am looking for some headwear for under my helmet but which is best a skull cap or just a cap? I would rather buy just the one item if possible.
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• I have just bought this one here.....
    http://www.probikekit.com/uk/clothing/cycling-clothing/cycling-headwear/endura-baa-baa-merino-wool-skull-cap.html

I hasn't been cold enough to wear on a ride yet but feels really comfortable and covers my ears. I imagine that I will be removing it at some point during all but the coldest of rides.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    i had a skull cap last winter and have just started to use a cap at the minute id say the biggest benifit to a cap is as a glasses wearer the cap helps keep the rain off my lenses and also keeps my head warm..
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Both are good. My Walz moisture wicking cap has been with me longer than any other cycling garment I own. I should point out that most of that time preceded my acquisition of a helmet. Nevertheless it's great under the helmet for keeping rain and sun off face, and with other helmets (if not mine as it extends too far over my forehead) you can just put the peak up, which is a classic look. I'm thinking of ordering a Walz helmet liner and wool cap though. :)
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    I use both (at different times). I have a Baa Baa Merino hat for c-c-c-cold days and wear a cycle cap when it's slightly chilly or wet. Cycle caps are pretty cheap you can get them for under £7 on PBK and even cheaper elsewhere ebay etc.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • I use a buff for my neck - essential on cold mornings to avoid getting a cough and a head band for my ears
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    A cap has a peak to keep the rain or spray off your face in the wet.
    It's also handy to block out dazzling headlights at night.

Buff skullcap cap - I've all types !
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I'm a recent convert to caps. Last winter I had a skullcap for the really cold days, which was great. However, as said above, this doesn't stop the rain and glare getting into your eyes. I got a couple of cheap cotton caps from Planet-X for £4 each. Ideally I'd like something a bit more technical as the cotton holds onto the sweat. I might have to look at those Walz ones.

For winter this year I've just ordered a Craft cap that's a fleece version of the cotton caps. Hopefully that will give me the best of both the skullcap and the regular caps.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I wear a cycling cap this time of year then when the temperature drops to 5-6 degrees and less move to my Rapha Belgium winter cap (warm, fits under a helmet, covers your ears and peaked so overall it's great). Pretty sure Giro and a couple of other brands do them these days but I'd definitely recommend something peaked.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    Ideally I'd like something a bit more technical as the cotton holds onto the sweat. I might have to look at those Walz ones.

Do it! I recommend highly. You can even have them personalised, and in custom colours if you're really keen! The postage is also flat rate for anywhere in the world, so it was an easy decision :)

On buffs, I have a few (used to have very long hair and used them as bandanas and sun protection), and whilst they're good and useful, they stretch, which is frustrating. Also a fair amount of money for what they are. Certainly not nearly as good as a cap or skull cap.
  • +n for the Buff.

One on the neck and another on the head with a little gap at the top to let excess heat out.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +2 for the Buff. You can adjust it so it covers your head completely or leave a gap at the top for ventilation. No peak though...
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    thank you for your advice, i have just bought a walz cap.will do certainly till it gets much colder but hopefully that won't be for a little while yet.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Ideally I'd like something a bit more technical as the cotton holds onto the sweat. I might have to look at those Walz ones.

Do it! I recommend highly. You can even have them personalised, and in custom colours if you're really keen! The postage is also flat rate for anywhere in the world, so it was an easy decision :)

On buffs, I have a few (used to have very long hair and used them as bandanas and sun protection), and whilst they're good and useful, they stretch, which is frustrating. Also a fair amount of money for what they are. Certainly not nearly as good as a cap or skull cap.
    Now sorting out a group buy over in Commuting Chat :D
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • mkviken
    mkviken Posts: 217
    i just got an enura baabaa hat and tried it out today and it works well. very warm and keeps the water off a bit. it lashed down with rain today and it kept my head fairly dry and warm.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Another vote for buffs
    Skull caps are ok but way to warm for riding ant any pace , buffs can be folded and used as balaclavas, bandanas and sweat bands.
    Mid winter i have been known to wear 2 when commuting, mananged to ride in - 10 to work and its was not my head that was too cold .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    edited October 2012
    Another vote for buffs
    Skull caps are ok but way to warm for riding ant any pace , buffs can be folded and used as balaclavas, bandanas and sweat bands.
    Mid winter i have been known to wear 2 when commuting, mananged to ride in - 10 to work and its was not my head that was too cold .

I'm not sure whether you've got a very hardy head or the wrong skull cap!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Cap cap and erm cap
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Buffs are s versatile, always good to have one knocking about
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    could have done with wearing a skull cap this morning, the cold was hurting my head and ears so much ..
  • giant man wrote:
    could have done with wearing a skull cap this morning, the cold was hurting my head and ears so much ..

I put mine on but took it off after 5 miles. I didn't get out until after 0800hrs though.
    Endura Baabaa. Nice and comfortable but it's not quite cold enough out there for me yet :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • I'm a big skull cap fan and must mention the one I bought from Decathlon over the weekend for 50p... yes 50p!

I wore it this morning at 5.30am when it was around 2 degrees and it was great. Gave me full coverage from my brow to my neck (including ears), kept me really warm and wicked away the sweat.

I have a couple of other lycra type caps I use but the Decathlon one has to be the best value for money by a mile... going to buy another couple so I can rotate them!
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    oxoman wrote:
    Neither try using a buff as it has a multitude of uses, styles. I only use the buff now, handy as a sweat band and also for keeping ears warm when cooler. I also have a second one i use for my neck and face when it gets to freezing point. A lot cheaper than a skull cap if you look around.

I vote for buff too. But I wear a cap if it is milder and rainier.
  • giant_man
    giant man wrote:

I put mine on but took it off after 5 miles. I didn't get out until after 0800hrs though.
    Endura Baabaa. Nice and comfortable but it's not quite cold enough out there for me yet :)
    coo, slacker lol :wink:
  • giant_man
    delete pleeaazzee