RST F1RST Platinum Fork

oceheb
oceheb Posts: 124
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Just received the fork, its quite good quality for the money. Its not clear about lockout.
It has OCRII suspention. When crown lever adjster at lockout position, the fork can still move about 15mm. Documentation says: "The minimum fork movement (0-15mm) would appear at lockout position". So Im thinking is this BUG of a Feature? How much this movement will eat at climbing? Should I return?

Regards
Ed

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited October 2012
    Er so the docs say 15mm, it moves 15mm. I'm missing the problem.
    There has to be some movement.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Feature.. Its because even when locked out the trail doesn't actually go pancake smooth.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    It's supposed to and won't affect climbing efficiency.

Also who the fark uses lockout on trails? I only use mine on occasional road links.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Perhaps saying the zero is wrong, that's not going to happen.
  • oceheb
    edited October 2012
    The problem is that this is not my definition of lockout :)
    If the fork is locked it should not move at all. For climbing or return home from trail on tarmac roards. At least this is what I observ on fox fork, which solid as a rock on lockout, ok its different price tag, do all around 200q forks have same issue with lockout? like rs reba or recon?
    I dont see how this could not affect pedaling performance on tarmac or climbing, 15mm is quite a lot of move, you feel this immediately.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Well your definition would be wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it did lockout with no movement it would be the only one on the market that did....that's locked out.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oceheb
    I dont know, may be my fox moves a bit, I usually feel it really stable, may be just dont notice. This is not question of principle, Im ok if fork will move few mm, I just measured again and noticed that looked at wrong scale so it moves around 1.5 inch actually, which is about 20-25mm, which is not what docs are saying.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The Suntour might need more air in it if your lockout is moving 25mm. Fox lockout sucks. Why they thought it would be a useful feature to have absolutely no travel when locked out is a mystery.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    oceheb wrote:
    I dont know, may be my fox moves a bit, I usually feel it really stable, may be just dont notice. This is not question of principle, Im ok if fork will move few mm, I just measured again and noticed that looked at wrong scale so it moves around 1.5 inch actually, which is about 20-25mm, which is not what docs are saying.
    i think you will find 1 inch is 25.4mm, best suggestion, stop measuring and start riding
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • oceheb
    What I found researching the subject is lockout on some forks can have some travel around 20mm, and this supposed to be normal. In some situations, the travel is caused by inproper oil level settings at factory, refilling the fork may fix the issue.
    Most fox forks, however have vultually zero travel at lockout, which I can proof as one of the owners of fox forks.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    We know it is normal and that was what was said all along.