Converting a MTB frame to a commuter?

student9731
student9731 Posts: 2
edited October 2012 in The workshop
I have an old Orange P7 frame, and I am looking to use it to commute about 4 miles/day to get in and out from uni. It is a mountain bike frame, but I'm using slick tires and will only ever be cycling on the road, or cycle paths.

I'm looking to get some full length mudguards, to stop me from getting too wet when it's raining.

It seems that fitting rear mudguards is not a problem, as there are eyelets on the frame for mounting. BUT, the front mudguards are giving me a headache!

The bike came with Pace forks, which don't have any mounting brackets, for the stays which are needed for full length mudguards.

Do you have any advice?
  • Should I fork out (pardon the expression) for some new forks? If so, what should I look for? and how would I know they'd fit my P7 frame?
  • Are there full length front mudguards that can be fitted without stays? (and therefore don't need the eyelets on the frame).

Much Obliged,

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have more rigid fronts that only need a 6mm hole at the fork crown and are rigid enough to work without stays.....only cost £6 for a pair with the rear!

However for ciommuter duty why not remove the Pace and fit some rigid, the only items that have to match are axle to crown and steerer lengths (as long as the steerer is 1 1/8")
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Pace made rigid as well as bouncy forks; which do you have?
    You may have to make do with a clip on front.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As per my first post, spotted one with a name on last night - Beavertail
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.