Secure storage solutions for bikes, your tips...

pilot_pete
pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
edited October 2012 in Road general
Right

Missus getting hacked off with me getting bike number 3 and storing them in the house! We have a double garage, one half converted into a room, which is used by the kids with a sofa, X-box, TV wardrobe, desk etc etc. my 2 bikes fitted nose to tail along one wall in a gap between that wall and the wardrobe on the adjoining wall. Bike 3 is currently sitting in front of the wardrobe and my knackers have been in a vice since it arrived!

So, I have considered the obvious such as moving the dining table onto the patio, divorce, selling the offspring to the highest bidder etc, but nothing seems to fit with my wife's mindset....

The garage is where she wants me to store them, not unreasonably, but I am reluctant. It has an electric door and the kids keep leaving it open when they get their bikes, skateboards etc out. My eldest had his bike stolen when he came home from school, put his bike in the garage and didn't check that the door had gone down (it had hit a basketball and gone back up).

I know I could lock them in there, but this just doesn't feel secure enough to me. I would like to put them on wall brackets, within a cage which could be locked, which would protect them from anyone except a very determined thief. Searching the web seems to only bring up commercial cages which come with price tags in the thousands! So I am looking for your ideas and experiences please.

Thanks for your time.

PP

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • pilot_pete
    You're kidding right....aren't you? :wink:

PP
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    New wife, bikes in lounge, sorted.

worked for me! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I've got some valuable bikes stored in our locked shed. They are secured with an uncroppable 16mm Pragmasis chain which attaches to a ring on the concrete floor. Pragmasis chains are as tough as they come, and British made too, but they are not cheap. But then they say that you should figure on 10% of the bike's value for security, so by that equation it is still something of a bargain.
  • Hoopdriver wrote:
    I've got some valuable bikes stored in our locked shed. They are secured with an uncroppable 16mm Pragmasis chain which attaches to a ring on the concrete floor. Pragmasis chains are as tough as they come, and British made too, but they are not cheap. But then they say that you should figure on 10% of the bike's value for security, so by that equation it is still something of a bargain.

From what i've read and a programme on TV I watched not that long ago, nothing is "Uncroppable" If the bastads want to cut your chain then they will :(

But obviously a heft chain and lock will act a deterrent to the common petty thief
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver wrote:

From what i've read and a programme on TV I watched not that long ago, nothing is "Uncroppable" If the bastads want to cut your chain then they will :(

But obviously a heft chain and lock will act a deterrent to the common petty thief
    Not the Pragmasis chain in 16mm or 19 mm

Uncroppable, even with 42" bolt cutters - guaranteed.

Theirs was not the chain on the shows
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Simply build a stout concrete bunker in your back garden and fit with 1 inch steel bars prison-4.jpg
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    All chains are breakable but not necessarily by cropping. Motorcycle thieves have utilised grinders, pneumatic jacks, freezing and heat to break security chains and u-bolts. Treat them as a time hindrance to the potential thief and don't put all your trust in them. Also keep the slack as short as possible and off the ground. A good cold chisel and a hefty few whacks with a sledgehammer have seen off many a chain with a Thatchem grading. I have an electric door but not the problem of kids leaving the door open. My bikes are all off the floor and can be padlocked to the hanger. I do have the garage alarmed complete with a sound bomb loud enough to put off any thief.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • pilot_pete
    I was thinking of building a breeze block wall thus creating a 'cupboard' at the back of the garage, with a strong door in which I could lock bikes on wall hangars. Easy enough to demolish in years to come to restore the garage to normal size should we move etc. Does that sound viable or too extreme?

The only other idea I can see would be to build a cage using Dexion and mesh, but that stuff seems very expensive! Again, it is all about deterrence as it wouldn't stop a very determined thief with the right equipment....including my tools which are in the garage! :?

PP
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:

What about ALMAX chains and locks?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Herbsman wrote:

Brilliant! Until you want to open the door....
    More problems but still living....
  • Hoopdriver
    De Sisti wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:

What about ALMAX chains and locks?
    Bingo - that's the other great name in locks that I couldn't think of when I was writing that post. I went with Pragmasis but by all accounts I've read ALMAX are every bit as good.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    a bike lock worst nightmare

several different types of disk, there is nowt to stop it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-DEWALT-DC ... vi-content
  • Hoopdriver
    Looks kind of cheap and nasty to me. No doubt it would cut some locks, but I don't know if it would have the wellie to shear anything major. It depends too on how you lock your bike. With some of the tougher chains you would, for your own safety's sake, want the link in a vice or secured in some way on the ground. If you lock your bike in such a way that the would-be thieves can't get a 'solid footing' with their angle grinder they are just likely to hurt themselves.
  • I'm in the security industry so I thought I'd chime in (first post /hi). Chains are OK but sadly thieves have started to learn the value of components so they'd just cut your frame to knick the whole bike then split it down and have easier to 'dispose of' stolen goods.

The first rule is to not let anyone know what you have. If someone is determined to knick something, they will.

After that, a redcare gsm alarm is asking good as it gets but this would be easily rendered useless in your case by the kids so your idea of building a hut at the back would be ideal. You could also consider bolting in a metal security shed off ebay. Then put in a stand alone alarm system with an autodialler so it rings/texts you in the event of an alarm.

Hope this helps.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Silverbull wrote:
    I'm in the security industry so I thought I'd chime in (first post /hi). Chains are OK but sadly thieves have started to learn the value of components so they'd just cut your frame to knick the whole bike then split it down and have easier to 'dispose of' stolen goods.

The first rule is to not let anyone know what you have. If someone is determined to knick something, they will.

+many.

If they really want it nothing will stop them so all anyone can do is just make it as difficult as possible (stops opportunists) and insure them for the full value of all parts ect. (cos nothing will stop the well equipped determined scumbag).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • pilot_pete
    Thanks guys. So it looks like building a breeze block 'room' at the back of the garage would be the best option. Can't cost that much! Wife is already agreeing, she just wants them out!

PP
  • nickellis
    nickellis Posts: 239
    If the back of your garage is an exterior wall you might want to consider lining your 'panic room' with steel plates up to head height. Might be overkill but that's the way I'd be looking.

If you go away for an extended period a determined thief might decide it worth it to take the wall down. Claiming he's working on your house while your away.

Breeze blocks to build the room, eff off big steel door. Winner
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    Regardless of all the security,I'd make sure you have adequate insurance. If the worst does happen,at least you can replace the bikes.