Boardman mtb pro bb30 swap with new crankset?

andy86uk
andy86uk Posts: 7
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening All,

I know there have been a few threads covering issues with fsa bb30 bottom brackets on boardman bikes but im hoping for a little advice / opinion for a novice but 'gutsy' home bike servicer!

I got my 2011/2012 boardman mtb pro second hand and have since put about 4-500 xc miles on it. ive lost a few teeth of the outer chainring and the chain is now due to be replaced. I thought it might be an opportune moment to replace the chainrings (and possibly cassette) but im struggling to get a 42t chainring compatible with an fsa comet crankset.

Ive seen an fsa afterburner crank/chainset for £65 and was tempted to replace the lot rather than spending £25-30 on just a new chainring. Considering all the problems ive read about the bb30 - boardman combo is it worth me trying to swap the current bb with the one that comes with the crankset (seing as though i have had no problems with it) or is it best to leave alone?

presumably the bb would need replaced at some point in the future (bike cant have done more than 1000 miles from new) but seeing as though i seem to have been one of the lucky ones - should i not tempt fate by fiddling when not entirely necessary?

Sorry for waffling, any advice / experience / suggestions welcome.

Cheers, Andy.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If the frame is BB30, then BB30 is all you can use, unless you get adaptor cups to fit something else.
  • Hi supersonic,

Thanks for response. As far as i can figure, the boardman frame is bb30 (if not as wide as the road bike featured in the workshop guide featured here http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... ets-29544/, meaning there is an extra 'spacer jobbie' between the left crankarm and frame. Ive bought an fsa bb30 afterburner (not the bb30 386 afterburner) which im hoping will be a straight swap. i was just wondering whether to leave in new bb in the box and just switch out the crankarms - as i dont want to mess up a seemingly functional bb. hope that makes sense!

Cheers!