Recommend me a waterproof!

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Am in need of a new waterproof for mtb and commuting. The current Endura Laser, whilst bright (good for commuting) has always been 'boil in the bag' sweaty when riding, and although it used to keep the rain off, no longer even does this ... so I end up getting wet whatever the weather!! :oops:

Would love something really techincal and breathable and gore-texy, but don't really think I can afford it ... budget is probably max of £100, but ideally £70-£80.

So ... what do you recommend? Needs to be bright (but not orange or yellow ... red or bright blue or green would be preferred) Anyone got any views on either of these?

DHB EQ 2.5
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-eq25-waterp ... ng-jacket/

Or this, the Altura Mayhem Waterproof MTB Jacket:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-mayhem-w ... tb-jacket/

or any other recommendations?

Cheers,

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have the Altura & wouldn't recommend it. Not breathable enough for anything other than winter riding. I would spend a bit extra and go for a Gore waterproof.
  • Just go cheap, looks good, with pit zips, stow hood and keep it proofed with nikwax. And use a decent base layer.
  • just bought a endura gridlock. Pretty light with pit zips etc. Luv it so far. check out CRC.
  • Just go cheap, looks good, with pit zips, stow hood and keep it proofed with nikwax. And use a decent base layer.

Did you have a specific 'go cheap' jacket to recommend, or were you saying either of my original suggestions as opposed to an expensive gore-tex item?

I should have added that I use my bike to travel around for work, not just commuting, so wear my 'work' clothes (nothing smart - just jeans and shirt), so it does need to be reasonably breathable (or more breathable than my currrent endura laser!). MTB rides not an problem, as can pile on as many baselayers as needed ...
  • I've got a Sombrio Brawny Epik jacket for the very worst weather, currently down to £60 from £100 on CRC, and I find it to be superb. It's also managed to hold up to some pretty big offs without falling apart, which is more than I can say for my Endura superlite shorts which pretty much dissolved the first time they came into contact with the ground.
  • The Sombrio looks good value ... but its black, and I need / want something a bit brighter and more visible when commuting ...
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Look at the Gore range - nice stuff.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Well, I hope my newly arrived Endura jacket - Photon - is not so boil-in-the-bag as the Laser (which I did consider along with the Gridlock.)
    It is very packable - really small - which I had hoped for (never got the chance to ry one in the shops - bought at CRC), bright and close-fitting : possibly a fraction closer than I wanted as it is a neat, close fit over a jersey + thick base layer but if I ever needed to wear it in the depth of winter where I've a thicker thermo-type jacket it might be a little restrictive across the shoulders.
    I had similar requirements to your own - the DHB was considered but as the Gridlock felt a nice jacket when I tried that I plumped for their alternative, lighter Photon.

Non-cycle specific - Berghaus RG1 light waterproof jacket ?

It's difficult getting a waterproof jacket whose breathability is good and it doesn't cost the earth.
  • The Sombrio looks good value ... but its black, and I need / want something a bit brighter and more visible when commuting ...

Get a high-viz backpack cover ;)
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    edited October 2012
    Anyone tried Montane products, eg this, this, or this:

same ball park as the endura / dhb that have been suggested earlier in this thread ... anyone rate this?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=72789

Both of the following two are reduced to my level of affordability ... and I like the light weight and breathabiity claims
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=72787

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=60763

They all look like bargains with the CRC reductions ... unless they're rubbish!
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Anyone tried Montane products

I have a lightweight Montane waterproof (very similar to the Minimus) in eVent fabric (goretex-a-like), the really thin stuff you can roll up into a tiny ball. It's superb. I also have a bike specific gore jacket (in holy-shit-thats-yellow-I-can-see-it-a-mile-off yellow) in goretex paclite (the lightweight stuff again), which is also excellent, although it is extremely yellow.

The Gore jacket was eyebleedingly expensive. The Montane one, less so. Functionally, I can't tell the difference, they're both completely waterproof and do not result in me instantly turning into a sweaty mess, and both have now survived a few years on-and-off use.

I would buy Montane again, anytime. The Gore, well, only if reduced.

My better half has two bergaus goretex jackets of different weights/styles - no complaints about that either.