Bikes by colour?

Rucks
Rucks Posts: 93
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Saw a lad earlier today riding his bike, it struck me straight away that he'd chosen that bike purley for its appearance as he'd matched his trainers and rucksack to the bike ( baby blue colour ).
Made me think about the last bike I bought and how I had to have the season befores model as I preferred the colour even though the kit was better on the new one (lesson learned...)

I wondered how many other people have/do this when they choose a bike?

Funniest part though was when I got home a googled his bike, turns out to be the womens version.... Wonder if he knew?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 717/39214/

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Rucks wrote:
    Saw a lad earlier today riding his bike, it struck me straight away that he'd chosen that bike purley for its appearance as he'd matched his trainers and rucksack to the bike ( baby blue colour ).
    Made me think about the last bike I bought and how I had to have the season befores model as I preferred the colour even though the kit was better on the new one (lesson learned...)

Funniest part though was when I got home a googled his bike, turns out to be the womens version.... Wonder if he knew?

Probably nicked. Criminally poor taste and all.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Too many people do it. Same with brand names.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Too many people do it. Same with brand names.

Or the fact it's "Made in the UK"

:roll:

:lol:
  • I buy clothing that matches the colour of my bike.
    (It's a blokes bike though.)
    I'm a bike tart - and I'm not ashamed of that fact either. :mrgreen:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Rucks wrote:

Bit of a leap, no? 3 of my bikes are white with black and red bits but I didn't get them because of the colour, it's just coincidence. And my dh kit matches my dh bike because the kit I like happened to be available in the right colours.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Northwind wrote:
    Rucks wrote:

Bit of a leap, no? 3 of my bikes are white with black and red bits but I didn't get them because of the colour, it's just coincidence. And my dh kit matches my dh bike because the kit I like happened to be available in the right colours.

You are sooooooo gay :lol:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Only a little bit!

But seriously right, I've got a red and white bike. So when I went to buy an Urge Down-o-matic and it turned out to be available in red and white, I got that one. This way, even while riding slowly, I still look well pro.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    This way, even while riding slowly, I still look well pro.

:lol::lol:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a white bike with black bits and a black bike with black bits - I wear mainly black ride gear and a charcoal grey helmet - I probably look like a monochromatic pro whoopsie. My DH bike however has a brown saddle, pink pedals and a grey stem and I wear a white patterned lid - on that I look like the cack footed moose rimmer (thanks CWNT I quite like that one) that I am.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I brought my bike based on the looks. I hated the colour of the base model. I'm being more sensible with the next bike as I'm getting it for ability over looks. My current bike is a lot nicer to look at than it is to ride.

I think like anything you have to like the looks of something. You could have the nicest girlfriend in the world, but if she looks like a cross between an inbred pony and a zombie then you're not going to want to ride her.

Part of the fun of riding the bike is having it look nice. Granted, when you're on it it's trail ability if far more important than what it looks like, but you're going to hate it to a certain extent when you stop and have to look at it.

Colour coded gear is a bit extreme. There are not mirrors posted around trails so as long as I'm warm and comfy with a stupid grin on my face then all is well with the day.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Rucks wrote:

assuming that it actually was a lad, was he wearing a girls trainers and rucksack too ? :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have never been to fussed about colours - the Voltage is an eyeball-searing dayglo green with white bits, it looks like a 10-year old's bike - but a mate has thing about blue he will buy any old shit providing it's blue
  • .blitz wrote:
    ...the Voltage is an eyeball-searing dayglo green with white bits, it looks like a 10-year old's bike...
    :P
    Nothing wrong with dayglo green and white.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Red. It's the fastest colour. Don't just take my word for it, Astronomers work out how fast an object is receding by how red it looks.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Purple...I was respraying the frame and when scanning the shelves of rattle cans at Halfords liked the colour, no I don't own any purple trousers (anymore......)

Yes my Daughters resprayed frame is bright baby pink.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Got to be honest I was drawn to my bike as it is a bright yellow Scott and stood out from all the rest in the shop :D
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    My mate is like this with lime green. Proper gay.

My bike has loads of colours in it, and it works fine.
    Papa? Nicole
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    Every bike I've had has had an element of red in it.

I wanted to go blue this time but ended up with a black bike with hints of red as the blue version wasn't in stock... :mrgreen:

But I do tend to colour code to my bike!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    292939_10151084037656262_253244162_n.jpg

I don't think it matters what colour bike I get next... pretty much anything goes with this outfit! Cross between Sam Hill and Elton John I think.

edit-- gloves are white and green to :)
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    mintedox wrote:
    My mate is like this with lime green. Proper colour.

FTFY .

nowt wrong wit keeping the bling matching
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I went for the mamba green for my Canyon precisely because if I went for a black and white bike I'd end up buying daft coloured bling for it, absolutely nothing will go with the mamba green so if I upgrade anything it will be in easily available black.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I wouldn't buy a bike based on colour, but of the ones available I would choose which one I liked best and then probably get kit that sort of matched if I could. When blinging it I would probably then go for upgrades in a matching colour but that's about as far as it goes.

I don't think there's anything wrong with colour matching it all, if that's your thing, it's not about being sensible is it, it's a hobby.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Why shouldn't you buy a bike if you like the colour? surely if it looks great it adds to the incentive to go ride?

Personally if a bike has a load of colours on it, it looks shit. you wouldn't buy a car if all the panels were different colours.

Sure there is the whole argument if it works, its fine blah blah blah. As I say for me, bike aesthetics is a big part of it when I hand over my cash.

Susan Boyle could be the best ride you've ever had, would you really want to be seen in public with her? Its the same with bikes....*

*Especially specialized (ooohhhh did I type that out loud?!)
  • lawman wrote:
    Personally if a bike has a load of colours on it, it looks shoot. you wouldn't buy a car if all the panels were different colours.

Oh I don't know I've seen plenty of these around polo-harlequin.jpg
  • The Rookie
    lawman wrote:
    Why shouldn't you buy a bike if you like the colour? surely if it looks great it adds to the incentive to go ride?
    It's one thing buying a bike because you like the colour, another buying it JUST because you like the colour.....

I can't see the bike when I'm riding it, it's not a fashion accesory, so I just ride it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lawman wrote:
    It's one thing buying a bike because you like the colour, another buying it JUST because you like the colour.....

I can't see the bike when I'm riding it, it's not a fashion accesory, so I just ride it!

IMO when spending X amount of money on a bike within reason it should tick all the boxes. The spec should be about right, geometry and if it looks crap, would you not go for a bike with similar characteristics that did tick the looks box? I sure as hell would. Obviously there are exceptions, but on the whole if X bike had X spec for X amount of money, but another bike had similar spec, ride feel, was abit more expensive, but looked better, I'd spend the extra. Spending money on what are effectively luxery items, they should make you feel decent about buying it, cos one day someones gonna rock up on the better looking bike and you wish you bought it instead.
  • The Rookie
    You seem to have missed the word JUST in big capitals....I'm not disagreeing if you have 2 otherwise 'identical' (to you) bikes then pick the better looking. Heck if people bought bikes on looks, Orange would have gone bust yonks ago!
  • The looks were a factor in mine. I also liked the fact that it was quite cheap and had a good spec.

But I also like the fact its a Ghost. Just a cool name I think.

But I do agree with the view that if you are spending a lot of money you buy something that is both functional and you like the look of.

As soon as someone said a car with different colour panels, the Polo was my first thought.