New hardtail frame to replace my XTC frame

jesse09
jesse09 Posts: 4
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
It is time for a change, and I need some advice.

I would like to replace my current 07 Giant XTC frame. I have over the past years upgraded pretty much everything, for example Reba Race fork 100mm travel (adjustable 80-120), XT Group set 10 speed Dyna system, Hope X2 brakes, Hope Hubs and DT Swiss rims etc.. the list could go on.

I have a budget of around £600 to upgrade the frame. I would like not to alter my current ride position too much, so would prefer to keep the same or similar geometry. My normal riding routes include bridleway’s, single track, XC trails, all day rides (L2B off-road) a little technical but nothing too downhill, no jumps etc. So would prefer to keep to a light, comfortable, XC orientated ride.

Can you please suggest me some alternative frames for me to consider. One which has been suggested to me is the Kinesis XCpro3 frame. Any thoughts?.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    456Carbon Whippet? Otherwise yes, the Kinesis or possibly a Scott Scale if you can find a frame. Alternatively if you can find one of the Giant composite frames, I ride with someone who has one - very tasty!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd keep what you have, a light, responsive frame. XC3 Pro is not an upgrade, just different. If you were though, as above, something carbon.
  • XTC frame ia actually very good and light.I went from the XTC to an Anthem,so much more capable,and just as fast but if I wanted another hardtail I`d be looking at carbon or a nice 853 frame such as a Cotic Soul.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Thanks Guys for your input, im a little new to this and now a little more confused than before I started.
    ok, here goes

The Beginner,
    Whippet seems a little race orientated for me as from the review’s it suggests that it would not suit being in the saddle on longer rides.
    The 456 does however interest me, however from my first impression this one does get categorised as a long travel bike last review I read had 140mm of travel. Would my 100mm be too small for this I know I can adjust them but then do I go from being an XC frame. Am I wrong to think this?
    Giant composite is defieantly a possibility tho.

supersonic
    thanks for you input after visting my local bike shop, they did suggest that the kenesis frame XCpro3 and XC130 would been an upgrade on mine. A little confused tho. If you were me would you not bother changing?

The Spiderman,
    Would love an anthem, really thought that would always be the next frame/bike, however I am not sure if where I ride really warrants a full susser being a little heavier, a lighter better hardtail would be a better upgrade. Unless you disagree?

Any other suggestions on what frame or does my XTC frame indeed not warrant the investment on a new frame?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The bike shop would say that, they want to sell you stuff ;-). I would only change if you are going for a superlight alu or carbon frame. The XC Pro 3 is about 50-100g lighter than what you have, not worth changing for £350.

The Whippet is the same sort of frame as you have ie an XC frame. They are designed for longer rides ie efficiency with a more stretched out, lower pose.
  • FWIW 456 would be fine with 100mm.

If you like your frame and there is nothing that bugs you about it or that it does pretty much everything you want then keep it! Spend £60-70 getting it powdercoated into a groovey colour instead and it will feel like a new bike :)
  • @jesse09 I prefer the Anthem even on less demanding local rides as tha gains in traction and comfort negate the extra 1kg,though I agree it`s an expensive upgrade.

Unless you spend a lot you won`t get better a much better aluminum ht frame than what you have. Assuming the geometry is right for you some of the differences between frames can be quite subtle and you can achieve a lot with a change of forks,wheels or tyres.

I might personally be tempted by the Whippet, if not tweak what you have.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Thanks all for your input, I am now seriously considering an on-one (456/whippet) as a frame option. Alternative ill keep an eye out for Giant Composite frame.

Thanks again
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I always thought that the XTC was a pretty good (but perhaps ignored) frame - certainly nothing wrong with it & at least as good as comparable Treks or Specialized in my view. The Kinesis or whippet do look good too.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.