Illuminated Cycle Computers

BigLights
BigLights Posts: 464
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
Hello again,
now that it's dark on the commute I wonder if anyone knows of inexpensive illuminated cycle computers? I quite like tracking my speed and times etc but in the winter it's basically impossible to see.

Comments

• bikehut have one thats wireless for £20 in halfords, it does not stay lit all the time, I had mine for 5000miles and battery ran out so its got a great battery life
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Some of the GPS units like the Garmin Edge 500 or the 800 have illuminated screens... My 500 does but I'm not sure how to make it stay illuminated, it goes on and off
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    hmmm....interesting...you would have thought there's a market for that in dark countries like the UK.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Don't cat eye do one with a light?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • for the garmin edge u can change the illumination in the settings I think it is in bike settings you can change it from time to constant, u just need to scroll through the menu, and if u dont know how to get to the menu u hold the back button
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    On my Bryton GPS computers you can set them to auto - they come on automatically when it's dark! It's quite cool when you are cycling along and suddenly the light comes on. The Bryton 50 changes from black on grey to orange on black so the transformation is quite impressive!

I'd presume Garmin have a similar setting somewhere?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • @ Headhunter ... to change the backlight settings on the Garmin 500.
    1) Press and hold MENU
    2) Select Settings > System > Display
    3) Change the settings for Backlight Timeout.

If you set the Backlight Timeout to Off, I think, you can then control whether it's on by using the Power/Light button in the top/left of the garmin device.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The Cateye commuter has a proper backlight, like a digital watch. You can set it so that the first 'press' of the unit turns the backlight on and the second one starts cycling through modes. Some other cateye lights have (or had) a rubbish one though, it was a small light in one corner of the screen that wasn't really much use.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."