which bike please help urgently

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi im after buying a bike this week and was wondering what everyones thoughts are.

I have read through the forum a bit and have noticed a lot recommending the RR 8.1 which is one of the bikes ive been looking at.

The other bike is the Commencal premier hd 1

So which is it guys and why bearing in mind the Commencal is £65 cheaper

Commencal Premier HD 1
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=66761

RR 8.1
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2012-id_8168918.html

Really my budget was around £350 so was going for the commencal hd 4 then it just grew from there.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The RR, damped forks versus some a pogostick, no brainer.

Some people have managed to get the Voodoo Hoodoo down at £435 with NUS/money back.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The RR, damped forks versus some a pogostick, no brainer.
    Some people have managed to get the Voodoo Hoodoo down at £435 with NUS/money back.

What he just said.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Anonymous
    What do you mean by pogo stick ? Are you saying the forks are crap on the commencal ? Is this the only component you are basing your decision on ?
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    jimmy182 wrote:
    What do you mean by pogo stick ? Are you saying the forks are crap on the commencal ? Is this the only component you are basing your decision on ?

Yep, those forks are rubbish.

I just had a very quick glance, but I think every single component on the Rockrider is superior.
  • The Rookie
    Yes the forks on the Commie are crap, the brakes are one below those on the RR, the shifters/mechs are better on the RR, the crankset is MUCH better, in fact nothing on the Commie is better except possibly the tyres.

To repace the Forks with something decent (like the Recons) will cost circa £125, so better buying decent forks on the bike, and then allow for all the rest as well.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Whats the voodoo hoodoo ? apart from forks it looks like the commie is on par or better ?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The fork is the dealer breaker at this price. A good fork makes a massive difference off road. The Commencal is crap, avoid it and get something that works. The Hoodoo has an air fork with hydro damping - it may not have the gears of the Commencal, but it will work a hell of a lot better off road. I'd get the 8.1 if you have the money, is simply the best there is for £500.
  • Anonymous
    Ok thanks a lot for all your feedback. Which has the best forks out of the RR and the voodoo hoodoo ?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The RR - I tested both recently for WMB, and found the Recon on the Rockrider to be smoother and better controlled.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    The Commencal apparently has square bearings, so I'd give that a miss.

Seriously, I bought a RR8.1 for my son a couple of years ago and it's a cracking value bike. If he broke it (and he's had a few good tries), I'd buy another one without hesitation.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    rhext wrote:
    The Commencal apparently has square bearings

:?: :?: :?:
  • The Rookie
    He means they are uncool man......