dropper posts

soapbox
soapbox Posts: 5
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Hello folks, new on here and hope this one hasn't been done to death (no joy using search): I'm toying with the idea of a dropper post but I've seriously limited room on the frame. I picked up a second hand large santa cruz blur frame and I'm only running about 4.5" of seatpost showing at max height so I wouldn't ever have a dropper post at full extension. Anyone any experience running one like this? Not sure how much of a pain it would be trying to stop the seat at a decent height for the climbs or whether running the post 'half mast' all the time would shorten its lifespan. Cheers!

Comments

• the only adjustable seatpost i've used is a rockshox reverb. a great post, but i found it very difficult to get it set in exactly the same position half way through its travel. Maybe something like a gravity dropper that has fixed points may work for you.

I've also heard of people tying some fishing line or something similar from the saddle rails to the seat clamp to stop dropper posts from getting full extension. it might be worth a try.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    or maybe get a older Joplin with 3" of travel?
    But surely if you only have that amount showing, the frame is too big for you?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • The frame is borderline size wise but I got it for a steal and it's great apart from a worry lack of stand over room! Definitely not enough space for a gravity dropper but the fishing gut idea sounds interesting...
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    a 4inch post should be about perfect - the 'collar' etc. adds about an inch.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • 4.5" is about 110mm

Just buy a dropper with 100mm drop and insert as far as you can into the frame. It might still be a little bit higher than your current post (10-15mm) but it should be near enough.

Guess it depends. Does the 4.5" of post you have showing at the moment put your legs in "optimal" pedalling position? or is it slightly lower so you can pedal and descend without dropping it at the moment?
  • Also, I don't see how you can say there is not enough room for a GD, they do a 4" version, just the same as Rockshox and everyone else.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Cat, it's not just about the drop- the location of the gravity dropper's actuator thingmy would stop it fitting.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The problem is the post collars adding to the exposed seatpost length before you add the travel so a 125mm reverb probably equals about 160mm (6.25") exposed post. Gravity Dropper website says you need to be running 6.25" of exposed seat post for the 3" drop due to the post release position, 7.25" for the 4". 4.5" of post is about 0.25" below ideal for climbing and where I tend to leave the saddle so a 100mm Joplin 3 would probably just about work. Problem with Joplin is the 3" remote version is discontinued and I can't find any online still in stock, only the seat lever version which isn't much better than just using the quick release. Anyone know any other 100mm options?
  • Just found someone selling 100mm reverbs on ebay. Didn't think they existed! Eye watering £280 asking price though! And I've just realised I'm a halfwit who can't convert imperial to metric
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    A 100mm Reverb will be about 5.25 Inches above the collar in total in terms of exposed 'post', but the head is actually quite compact, so it might sit a little lower than 5.25 inches of normal seatpost.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • DHGuru
    DHGuru Posts: 1
    HI, ive got one on a mega i run it at half mast all the time, give the boys at www.descent-gear.com a call baught mine from there and got some really good advice on which sort i needed and it paid off! hope this helps :)
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Have you had a look the KS telescopic posts? I'm sure they do a 100mm version too not sure how much the seat collar adds tough
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    New Fox Doss?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.