And now my turn

2»

Comments

• jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    dont get me wrong - it was her fault (just like the t junction man was at fault). That's not the point
    I think the basic point in defensive cylciling (and driving) is not to ASSUME anything but to be alert to all the POSSIBILITIES and mitigate risks accordingly. I think we're agreeing really. And I do accept that there are situations where you have no options (e.g., skip truck up your arse when you see the ped)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    jedster wrote:
    dont get me wrong - it was her fault (just like the t junction man was at fault). That's not the point
    I think the basic point in defensive cylciling (and driving) is not to ASSUME anything but to be alert to all the POSSIBILITIES and mitigate risks accordingly. I think we're agreeing really. And I do accept that there are situations where you have no options (e.g., skip truck up your ars* when you see the ped)
    Yeah I know, it just rang a bell with regards to me being blamed. There's no way to know that someone won't step out. If they haven't looked at you that doesn't mean they're going to go, likewise if they have looked at you they might not have seen you so they'll go anyway. There's only so much defensive riding you can do whilst trying to get somewhere. Otherwise I'd slow to walking pace every time I passed a pedestrian just in case they leapt into my path without any warning, and I'd have to stop at every side road in case the driver who is waiting for me decides to turn anyway.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    Origamist wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    Part of problem is experienced cyclists often have good handling skills etc, so ride faster than less experienced cyclists, but are unable to respond to a fast moving pedestrian doing something unexpected/ stupid/ dangerous
    Firstly, bad luck rjsterry - I'm glad you're not badly hurt.

There's a lot in what Spen is saying, but what is the alternative on a road like Garratt Lane? Ride 4 to 5+ feet from parked cars at sub 10mph (which means you should be able to brake and/or swerve to avoid a pedestrian) but face the abuse and concomitant impatient driving that often follows from taking the lane at that speed. If you ride in the door zone (facilitating the passage of overtaking vehicles), you are at risk from being doored and are closer to pedestrians who step out into the road. If you ride quickly 20mph + , 5 ft from parked cars can you avoid a pedestrian who runs out quickly into the road? It's a bit of a Hobson's choice, unfortunately. That said, I try to avoid roads that have on-street parking, where possible, due to poor sight lines.

Well, that's just it: I reckon I've tried virtually all sensible routes over the past three and a half years, and all have their problems. Just to respond to jedster's point: I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure she stepped forward, paused and looked left when I was already within braking distance. I guess the quietness of bikes never helps; what struck me was that had I been a Prius or some other quiet, but much larger vehicle, she would still have stepped out, but would have been much more seriously hurt.

Having a day off the bike, but the bruising is already going down, so I'll be back on by the end of the week, I think.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    Phone call from my dad this afternoon:

Dad: How are you?
    Me: Not too bad. A bit sore at the moment; I got knocked off my bike.
    Dad: Oh no! Is your bike alri... I mean, are you alright?

Nice to see he has his priorities straight. :lol:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition