Catford CC Hill Climb

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited October 2012 in Pro race
I was going to cycle down and watch the suffering but can't find the climb on google maps.

The website has a link to multimap.com but this doesn't work for me.

Can anyone provide me with a google maps link?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    I think this is it. I've done a route from the top of Ide Hill (near the car park)

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=yorkshil ... CAsQ_AUoAg
  • Sweet Jesus, I hope its not in Glasgow. I've entered it and was planning on pedaling there from clapham
  • It does feel like you've ridden to Glasgow and back afterwards.
  • phreak
    Bugger, sorry chaps.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ide+ ... 4&t=m&z=14

That should be better :lol:
  • It does feel like you've ridden to Glasgow and back afterwards.

I know what you mean! I last rode this event in the early 90s, and did quite well. Foolish MAMIL that I am, I've entered this and the Bec Hill climbs again, almost 20 years later. I rode the hills at the weekend. :shock: %$*&ing hell - I struggled to even get up them, let alone race them. I'm sort of hoping they'll be oversubscribed and my enntries will be returned! :oops:

The (second) map that Phreak has posted is correct. The climb goes from B on his map to the junction with the road ahead. It's a horrible, horrible climb! The Bec CC hillclimb up White Lane is a little less hideous (the Catford CC HC is in the morning, and the Bec in the afternoon on the same day). If you're going to see one, why not catch the other? Here's where it is:
  • I think Sean Yates is riding this - his first and last HC apparently!
  • Extralight wrote:
    It does feel like you've ridden to Glasgow and back afterwards.

I know what you mean! I last rode this event in the early 90s, and did quite well. Foolish MAMIL that I am, I've entered this and the Bec Hill climbs again, almost 20 years later. I rode the hills at the weekend. :shock: %$*&ing hell - I struggled to even get up them, let alone race them. I'm sort of hoping they'll be oversubscribed and my enntries will be returned! :oops:

2/3rds done, the crowds will get you up the last bit.

YorksHill08.jpg
  • I think Sean Yates is riding this - his first and last HC apparently!

They usually get a 'name' rider in the event each year.

DSCN0072.jpg

Helps to justify this thread being in the Pro Race forum. :wink:
  • Nick Fitt
    Nick Fitt Posts: 381
    Extralight wrote:
    It does feel like you've ridden to Glasgow and back afterwards.

The (second) map that Phreak has posted is correct. The climb goes from B on his map to the junction with the road ahead. It's a horrible, horrible climb! The Bec CC hillclimb up White Lane is a little less hideous (the Catford CC HC is in the morning, and the Bec in the afternoon on the same day). If you're going to see one, why not catch the other? Here's where it is:

According to Google maps you have 9 minutes to get up there :wink::D:D
  • 2/3rds done, the crowds will get you up the last bit.

Thanks LC - I hope you're right! I'm worried about stalling and falling off in front of the crowds! Imagine the shame...

If it's wet, it will add an interesting dimension on the last and steepest kick. I had a bit of wheelspin even in the dry.
  • Disappointingly I got a text saying I had a start time for the event, yesterday. I was hoping the dog had eaten my entry form. I may have to stick a garden fork through my foot the day before. I think it might hurt less.

I'm off for a pie.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    Can't help thinking people are making a mountain out of a molehill (no pun intended) about this hill. Sure, it's steep but from what I can work out it only goes over 10% for about 200 - 300m and briefly touching 18% and is no doubt hard to race up but surely any relatively fit cyclist is capable of just getting up it? It's not exactly Hardknott is it?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Pross wrote:
    it only goes over 10% for about 200 - 300m and briefly touching 18% and is no doubt hard to race up but surely any relatively fit cyclist is capable of just getting up it?
    The Catford is a race but as a previous poster said it is not a Pro Tour race.
    Some of us were Amateurs before the Elite racing started.

But anyhow a race is as good as the riders make it and no matter how one Time Trials, then everybody is hurting. Even on the Flat.
    Your post is for the Tourists and even they will be out of breath while getting up there.

Directions to the Catford Hill.
    Coming up from Sundridge (A25 road). Keep climbing (couple of miles) until Ide Hill village and left turn past village green to keep climbing and then drop down to a road triangle, where left and past pub and up another hill.
    Then take a right fork to a minor crossroad. That's it, the top of the Catford is on your right.

From Edenbridge via Four Elms and keep climbing to the road triangle to turn right up the hill/pub you see to your right. Climb this to the fork road etc....

From Tonbridge to Leigh and B 2027 road to Chiddingstone and Bough Beech where, turn right over Rail bridge to Ide Hill. (well you join the road from Edenbridge.

Many years riding or "Lead Car" through these area's
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Pross wrote:
    Can't help thinking people are making a mountain out of a molehill (no pun intended) about this hill. Sure, it's steep but from what I can work out it only goes over 10% for about 200 - 300m and briefly touching 18% and is no doubt hard to race up but surely any relatively fit cyclist is capable of just getting up it? It's not exactly Hardknott is it?

Pretty wide of the mark. Only the first 100 metres or so are below 10% (you start off on a 'gentle' 8% slope). The average over the whole climb is >12% and the steepest ramps are well over 20%, nearer 25%.
    http://app.strava.com/segments/895046
    I did it for the first time last year in 2:46, will be back for more punishment again this year.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Pretty wide of the mark. Only the first 100 metres or so are below 10% (you start off on a 'gentle' 8% slope). The average over the whole climb is >12% and the steepest ramps are well over 20%, nearer 25%.
    I did it for the first time last year in 2:46, will be back for more punishment again this year.

There are some very odd times on that segment. Even discounting the bottom three as some sort of malfunction, I'm not sure I could cycle as slow as the ones immediatley above them without falling off
  • phreak
    dsoutar wrote:

There are some very odd times on that segment. Even discounting the bottom three as some sort of malfunction, I'm not sure I could cycle as slow as the ones immediatley above them without falling off

Could they be people stopping on the way up before carrying on?
  • Pross
    dsoutar wrote:

Walking probably?
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

The Google map extract above must show the start slightly further down the hill then but Ride With GPS doesn't show anything steeper than 18%. Still very steep and short, steep hill climbs are always the toughest as you can attack them hard. I'm not suggesting it is an easy hill by any means and I certainly wouldn't want to try going hard up it but the response was more to do with people saying it would be a struggle just to get up it.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    Pross wrote:
    The Google map extract above must show the start slightly further down the hill then but Ride With GPS doesn't show anything steeper than 18%. Still very steep and short, steep hill climbs are always the toughest as you can attack them hard. I'm not suggesting it is an easy hill by any means and I certainly wouldn't want to try going hard up it but the response was more to do with people saying it would be a struggle just to get up it.

Because the climb is on a heavily wooded, south facing slope, it can be extremely slippery so maintaining traction can be a challenge.

But you are right, anyone who is a regular cyclist should be able to ride up the hill without any issues.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited October 2012
    The event is a sprint up a steep but fairly short road, so it's about the ability to ride at your threshold power for the 3–4 minutes it will take riders to get up it. Turbo or track is probably better training than endless alpine gradients.

2012 is the 125th anniversary year I believe.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    It's a piece of piss if its dry. Only done it once on Strava, I attacked the whole hill from the turning so was a bit spent by the steep bit they use for the hill climb. Still 15th. If wet its a while different kettle of fish.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    It was wet when I went up both of them the other day, and certainly you get wheel slip (well I do because I'm fat), and I think the Bec one is worse just progressive and horrible. Haven't entered myself, but might well go down and cheer some clubmates up there!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • phreak
    It said that a former TDF yellow jersey holder might be riding. Wonder who that might be. Boardman perhaps?
  • phreak wrote:
    It said that a former TDF yellow jersey holder might be riding. Wonder who that might be. Boardman perhaps?

Its Sean Yates, who's definitely down on the start list
  • okgo wrote:
    It was wet when I went up both of them the other day, and certainly you get wheel slip (well I do because I'm fat), and I think the Bec one is worse just progressive and horrible. Haven't entered myself, but might well go down and cheer some clubmates up there!

This goes to show that it's horses for courses (both times I've riddent these climbs this month, I've found the Catford/Yorks Hill climb harder than the Bec/White Lane climb). But what most people who've ridden these climbs would agree (except BigMat above who described them as a piece of wee wee in the dry) is that they are really tough. Short, but very steep. The elevation data on RidewithGPS does indicate that neither have a gradient that exceeds 20%, but as someone who seeks out the hardest climbs on any ride, and who rides 25% gradients in the Chilterns, I'd say that the end of the Yorks Hill/Catford climb is, as the organisers say, 25% or 1 in 4. I'd suggest that elevation data on Strava and RidewithGPS for such a short segment should be considered indicative rather than definitive!

With the right gearing, any fit rider should indeed cope with these, and second time around this weekend with more forgiving gearing, I found them slightly less horrendous. The challenge is not to go too hard on the more gentle lower slopes, as then overcoming the gradients at the end does become a real challenge. If it's wet, like this weekend was, then it's going to take longer and be harder, technically and physically. I'm a skinny bloke (55kg), and I too was getting wheelspin out of the saddle, but my front wheel was lifting riding seated. This time around, I found it more of an ordeal for my upper body and lungs than my legs.

Good luck to all who are racing these climbs this weekend. As others have said, no Hill Climb should be easy, it's a race after all - if it doesn't feel like you're about to die, you're not going hard enough!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I'm a fool, I got them mixed up, yes, the Catford one was my least favorite!!

I agree with Matt, they're not hard to ride up, I took them both at a very easy pace and although it forces you out of the saddle at times (well it does on a 39-25) it certainly wasn't too bad. But when you're attacking it full gas it will be a totally different climb, and I have no wish to attack a climb so steep my wheels spin.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I may have been drunk when I made that last post. Both climbs are tough. Particularly tough with 80+ miles in your legs, at race pace or in the wet. I think its fair to say that in the dry and when fresh, most competent cyclists could get up there without too much trouble, although "piece of p*ss" is maybe a bit much. Would love to race up there but always seem to be busy on hill climb weekend - at a wedding in Cornwall this year (not even taking bike with me :( )
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    dsoutar wrote:

If you look at the dates, most are May 27th. Evans King of the Downs. 160-170km and probably 2300m in at that stage. Walking is not uncommon :oops:
    exercise.png
  • ^ formatting issue? that's not a quote of what I posted, it's somebody else's post