so how much different apparel do you need/own?

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
i am not looking for some proper cold gear but can't decide what i should be buying. currently i basically have 2 bib shorts and a pair of bib tights for the cold and a set of leg warmers.i have a couple short sleeve tops and a long sleeve top and a couple base layers which were from my running days. i dont really have a jacket of any description so do i need a thin waterproof one and a thicker winter one? plus with gloves i have some fingerless mitts but the old winter pair were far too warm for autumn spring so 2 more pairs needed there? which i like buying new gear (don't we all) i would rather buy less but a really good brand than just lots of stuff i don't quite get the use out of so to be pointed in some direction would be good.
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I would invest in some arm warmers for cold mornings. I would also recommend a good softshell jacket and, as you suggest, a thin, packable rain jacket. Long finger gloves are good (I have a pair by Cannondale that have an extra "lobster claw" cover for colder days). A buff is useful, as is a rainproof cap if you want to keep rain out of your face/off glasses. Shoe covers are essential for keeping feet warm(er) and dry, and also for keeping your shoes clean. A lot of these things can be bought from Gore bike wear - quite pricey but good quality and not the most expensive out there.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • I don't have much because I don't have any money; I've just accumulated stuff gradually. Just the bare minimum. 1 pair bibshorts, 1 short sleeve jersey, 1 long sleeve, 1 cap (Walz moisture wicking), 1 pair unpadded Roubaix bibtights (just bought because they've cheap on wiggle; not used yet and my first pair of longs), 1 pair of mitts (to be retired soon after 7 years service!),1 pair cheap fleece gloves I wear on top in the cold.

It's a good basic setup. For the cold you need something windproof, and if you're intending to do any lengthy rides in foul weather, you won't be very happy without something waterproof. A cap, preferably wool for cold weather (an investment I'll probably make this winter) is something you'll be glad of, likewise long finger gloves and overshoes.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A walk-in wardrobe's worth? Plus I have two holdall's worth of stuff in my attic 'cos it won't all fit!

In terms of a jacket, go for a Windstopper with a fleecy inner - it'll keep you warm and whilst not waterproof, you're better off warm and wet than dry outside but soaked through with sweat inside. There are few waterproofs that can cope with the vigours of cycling and you simply get clammy and cold in winter. The trick with winter riding is judging just how much you need to wear - too much and you'll overheat / sweat too much / get damp and cold. If you feel a bit chilly to start then you're probably about right.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I have a Sprayway light weight gortex jacket slim fit which I am getting the collar altered to fit better and not rise so high round the neck, (make do and mend seeing as its 5 year old). I have 3 bib shorts and some outer shorts for the real cold days. I reckon all I need now is a pair of gloves and I'm sorted.
    Don't call me sir I work for a living
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I think this can suffer for the n+1 rule that applies to bikes. Its an expensive hobby to get started in I shudder to think how much I have spent this year.

Bike - Wilier Izoard XP - £800
    Bib shorts *2 - one Castelli, one DHB = £140
    s/s jerseys * 2 - From Monton = £40
    s/s jersey - Endura = £25
    leg warmers - Ebay = £8
    windproof jacket - Castelli = £28
    Garmin 500 - £200
    turbo trainer - £170
    riser block - £15
    Mitts - £10
    Long finger under gloves DHB - £12
    Baselayers 1 s/s, 1 l/s - £40
    Baselayer thermal - £20
    Jacket s/shell Aldi - £15
    Tubes - £15
    Co2 pump - £12 - unused so far
    Co2 Canisters £8 - unused so far
    Lubes and Cleaning - £15
    Chamois butter - £10
    Electrolyte tablets - £15
    Clif bars - £25
    Saddle - Spesh Romin - £50
    PX Overshoes - £12
    Bike Fit - £50

TOTAL = £1685

Illustrating that the bike is about half of it! Of course you don't need all of that gear but I don't think its over indulgent. I bought shoes, helmet, roubaix longs and glasses last year but Its really taken me in 2012. At the moment its probably working out at about £1/mile!!. Next year I am hoping will be only a few incremental bits and pieces and a lot more miles. Although if I keep hanging around in Bike Radar then you lot will probably have me with at least new wheels and shoes. Of course Shoes will require pedals and I plan on a few sportives @£25 a go.

The way i look at it is that I feel loads fitter, less stressed, have lost 5kg and might even live a bit longer so its all an investment in mine and my childrens future! at least that's what I would tell the Mrs!
  • ianbar
    Calpol wrote:
    I think this can suffer for the n+1 rule that applies to bikes. Its an expensive hobby to get started in I shudder to think how much I have spent this year.

leg warmers - Ebay = £8
    Garmin 500 - £200
    turbo trainer - £170
    riser block - £15
    Mitts - £10
    Baselayer thermal - £20
    Tubes - £15
    Lubes and Cleaning - £15
    Chamois butter - £10
    Clif bars - £25
    PX Overshoes - £12
    Bike Fit - £50

TOTAL = £1685

Illustrating that the bike is about half of it! Of course you don't need all of that gear but I don't think its over indulgent. I bought shoes, helmet, roubaix longs and glasses last year but Its really taken me in 2012. At the moment its probably working out at about £1/mile!!. Next year I am hoping will be only a few incremental bits and pieces and a lot more miles. Although if I keep hanging around in Bike Radar then you lot will probably have me with at least new wheels and shoes. Of course Shoes will require pedals and I plan on a few sportives @£25 a go.

The way i look at it is that I feel loads fitter, less stressed, have lost 5kg and might even live a bit longer so its all an investment in mine and my childrens future! at least that's what I would tell the Mrs!

lol i havnt got kids yet so no excuse for me, saying that the misses is quite open to me buying what is required as she was brought up with a semi pro cousin so sometimes she is telling me to get buying!!!

so i think i will look for a windstopper jacket, i have some over shoes and arm warmers.
    enigma esprit
  • MartAstur
    MartAstur Posts: 122

leg warmers - Ebay = £8
    Garmin 500 - £200
    turbo trainer - £170
    riser block - £15
    Mitts - £10
    Baselayer thermal - £20
    Tubes - £15
    Lubes and Cleaning - £15
    Chamois butter - £10
    Clif bars - £25
    PX Overshoes - £12
    Bike Fit - £50

TOTAL = £1685

This made me smile :D . I am still working my way down that list as only started cycling a month or so ago. I'm going to copy it and show it to the wife in a vain attempt to extract some glimmer of understanding as to what is required when starting up cycling and the benefits it will have on our childrens and familys future well being.
    P.S. Very brave of you to make a list with all the costs. I am far too scared to tally up all mine:?
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    For a "medicine" that significantly reduces the risk of disability or death from a number of serious conditions I'd say that was good value. Cheap, even. :|
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • This is a timely thread as, after another foray into Aldi, Mrs S G has put the block on further purchases and demanded a revue! The short answer seems to be that I have three of everything. Shoes, bib longs, bib shorts, softshell jackets, l/s jerseys, s/s jerseys, compression bases s/s, compression bases l/s, compression u/shorts, compression u/longs, full fingered gloves, mitts, winter socks, summer socks ankle, summer socks mid. One heavyweight waterproof jacket, two gilet, two lightweight waterproof jackets, one cycling helmet and numberless dark glasses. There are also bidons, casquettes, buffs, jels, tablets and powders of multifarious beneficial uses.

All this has been selflessly donated by various charitable organisations for no charge, such as C R C, Wiggle and sundry L B S's & supermarkets, plus Decathlon. That is my story and I intend to adhere to that pending incontrovertible evidence to the contrary.

This list does not actually cover some of the stuff I use when riding the hybrid but we just don't talk about that :oops:
    'fool'
  • ianbar
    Well I don't think I have too much of anything, although I do stock up on high 5 when I see it on groupon thus also getting myself surrounded by drinks bottles.
    enigma esprit