Stantion Lube and possible rebuild...

richardjiles
richardjiles Posts: 137
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
So what do you guys use to lube your stantions? I used to use teflon stuff, but I dont have that anymore and I don't want to pay for chain lube for my stantions.

But also was thinking about rebuilding forks and what not. I've seen the videos on youtube but they dont say where to buy things, where do I buy the seals? or do I not have to replace them and maybe just put new fluid in and leave it at that

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    How much is chain lube and how much do you actually use? Not much and not much is my experience
  • baser
    baser Posts: 127
    I use fork juice on the fork and shock, works really well. It will cost you more than chain lube but is teflon not oil so it will not attaract and hold as much dust and mud as chain lube.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I use Brunox but it's probably the same price or more than chain lube.

You can get service kits from TFTuned for about £40 (seals, lower leg lube kit & oil)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Brunox here too. It only takes a drop or two. I've been on the same bottle for over a year now and there's still more than half left, being used between two bikes.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I use silicone spray. You can buy it from builders merchants/hardware stores really cheap. Its the stuff that you use to'ease' plastic pipes.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So what do you guys use to lube your stantions? I used to use teflon stuff, but I dont have that anymore and I don't want to pay for chain lube for my stantions.
    But also was thinking about rebuilding forks and what not. I've seen the videos on youtube but they dont say where to buy things, where do I buy the seals? or do I not have to replace them and maybe just put new fluid in and leave it at that
    Why not - new forks are a hell of a lot more expensive than a new chain.
    I use Fox Float Fluid. Tiny dab, pump, wipe and go.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    i just use some leftover 15wt fork oil (Stendec)

think it was only £6 for 500ml from CRC

no use for chains tho :wink:
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    i was going to replace my seals and foam rings when i rebuilt my forks the other week, but after a good clean they were fine to use again

depends on age/usage of forks i guess
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Stendec easy glide grease tub here. Seems to work very well and the smallest tub they do is lasting ages
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    same ^^

Good for frame bearings too.
  • Jgb1
    Jgb1 Posts: 50
    Smidgen of 5w motorbike fork oil. Pump up and down a few times and wipe off.