Best place to sell a new bike?

Captainlip
Captainlip Posts: 281
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Where is the best place to sell a brand new bike? I have advertised on here and pinkbike for a few weeks and had little interest on pinkbike and none on here, I understand that £2.4k is out of most peoples budgets but I expected it to sell straight away.

I bought the bike at the shop I work at upgraded it and sat here unused ever since, parts new cost almost £4k but im lucky enough to get stuff reduced rate.

Basicially I am advertising it at what I paid to recoup my investment. not only that its up for £400 less than the standard bike costs before you chuck another £800 of new goodies onto the bike. unmarked and un used I dont get why there is no interest.

I dont want to use ebay as its going to be full of people asking to but it for peanuts and rarely see a decent bike get its worth on there, not only that ebay rob you for fees and I closed paypal down due to been scammed.

and ideas?
MADONE 5.2

Comments

• Stick it on ebay, non-auction and with a decent buy now price - don't accept Paypal if they are collecting. Add at the bottom "if auction fails will advertise locally for x amount (less then your buy now price and what you actually want for it). It's technically non sporting.
  • elredso
    elredso Posts: 94
    It's all about eBay - from personal xperience the bigger /more. Depth / honest the Write up the more you make at the end of it
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    2.4k, second-hand bike doesn't sell immediately. Shocker.

Try Pinkbike, and try to be honest in the description (it isn't a *new* bike, by any legal definition, even if it is beautifully specced).
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That's part of the trouble, you've specced it, very very few would have specced it the same, as people value different things.
  • You'd perhaps be better off splitting it and selling the components. Its value as a bike will never be what you put into it. Same with cars.

Ebay will get you lots of questions, but for the price you are asking, id expect to be asked!
  • Clank wrote:
    2.4k, second-hand bike doesn't sell immediately. Shocker.

Try Pinkbike, and try to be honest in the description (it isn't a *new* bike, by any legal definition, even if it is beautifully specced).

thats the thing its brand new, unmarked and showroom condition, effectivly yes its 2nd hand but its actually a brand new bike.

as for speccing it up, i dont think it could be specced better with the stealth reverb, renthal goodies and £100 set of new rubber for a start.

I will avoid ebay for the time being as usually its forr cheap crap or stolen stuff lol
    MADONE 5.2
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Might be better off splitting it and selling seperately. People just don't like spending 2.4k on bikes with no warranty.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it won't sell you're asking too much. Simple.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • it may be because its not worth 2.4k?
  • it may be because its not worth 2.4k?

This.

If it's brand new, I assume it comes with all receipts etc for both the bike, and all your upgrades. You might want to state that in the ad.

Also, you've said you work in a bike shop and got stuff at trade prices, yet you've listed all your extras at RRP, I fkn hate it when people do that, it's just plain dishonest, nobody has ever paid RRP for anything, ever. Least of all if they work at a bike shop. RRP and value are 2 VERY different things.

I'd say £2k, with the reverb, is about the absolute MAX of what it's worth. It's a second hand bike, despite what you might say, it just is. It's been taken out of the box and ridden, even if it was only around the carpark, it's still been ridden, and it's still 2nd hand.

That might not be what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

As said above, you'll do better splitting.
  • Even 2k second hand, id want a better groupset and wheels!
  • Even 2k second hand, id want a better groupset and wheels!
    +1

But then again.. I'd only offer a pack of jaffa cakes and a weeks lend of my shovel.
  • £2200 without the reverb is what its cost me so thats least ill accept for a bike that would cost £2850 to and tom dick harry who walks in the store, this is before upgrades.

so wheres best to sell, shitbay is not happening I wont waste my time with people who havent got the money and make stupid offers of a grand, on here the buy sell is pretty slow from what ive been seeing, pinkbike is ok but mostly peeps in usa on there.
    MADONE 5.2
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bike classifieds forums. As many as you can find. If it is worth it, it will sell. But as before, you are aiming too high based on the fact none of the parts have warranty anymore.
  • You're missing the point, as a buyer, I don't give a shlt what you paid for it. If you overpaid, that's your problem.

For £2.5k, I can go out right now and buy an bike that is ACTUALLY new, with a better spec.

You're targeting a very small market looking for people that are willing to drop that kind of money on a second hand bike. And the sort of people who MIGHT be willing to spend that kind of money, know a bit about what stuff is worth, so they'll not be interested in overpaying just because you did. It's going to take time to sell.

Ebay is the best bet, for a quick sale, you might want to avoid the fees, but it's still the best bet. Stuff goes for far more than that on there all the time.

As said above, you have to remember, you've specced it how YOU wanted it. Instead of spending money on decent group and wheels, you spent it on blingy bits. You say it couldn't be better specced, but I beg to differ, you've got group and wheels off a £1500 bike, sticking some blingy renthal stuff on there does not negate that fact.
  • It's the basic slash 7. It's £2,200 online now (brand new)

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/trek-sla ... 74277.html

If you work in a bike shop, and had to pay retail prices, I suggest your boss does not like you very much.

I fail to see where this other £2k you're talking about comes from, unless you're selling another slash 7 in a sort of, buy-1-get-1-free deal?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I think I can see the problem:
    1. You are calling it a Trek Slash Enduro which doesnt exist - its a Trek Slash 7 with upgrades - call it what it is will help potential buyers identify its correct RRP without having to review the trek site and check specs - the RRP of the bike is 2775 on Trek so realistically you should expect a 2012 to be on sale at the model year end for 20% off at least.
    2. You have bought a Trek Slash whcih is not an amazingly popular bike mainly because its not that light, not that easy to pedal and probably less suited to enduro than a remedy - its basically a freeride bike with air shocks to try and make it something it was never designed to be.
    3. You have upgraded it but gosh darn you spent your money on stuff that didnt really need upgrading - the only thing worth putting on there if you just wanted to sell it on was the Reverb.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    4. You've only been trying to sell it for a week. Have a bit of patience.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trek-Slash-9- ... 3f1d11b371

Same price as you are asking for, but far higher spec

There's your problem, and thats why that bike has a bid on it and yours doesnt
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    You've got an unpopular bike on which you've made the most pointless 'upgrades' (apart from the Reverb). Stuff like tyres, saddle, pedals, etc is what most people would expect to pick themselves anyway, and you're charging them RRP for the privilege of getting what you specced. The fork should have been the first, and possibly only, upgrade, end of. Even if you had upgraded the important parts, it'd still only be worth perhaps a little more than what Super suggests, as you're selling 2nd-hand in a market where anyone can buy a better specced bike, brand-new, and warrantied, for less.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just had a look at a new slash 7.

which is a better bike than you are offering. you have turned it into a gravity orientated bike.

with many parts that are, to some, not as good as the originals.

sell it in parts and hope for the best.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most bikes are worth more in bits than in one piece anyway, You'd be better off putting stock stuff on, selling for what it's worth and then selling or using the 'upgrade' parts seperately. I'm guessing you got the bike dirt cheap as the stores struggled to shift them!

I fund my upgrades by buying used bikes with bits on I want and then selling the bits on along with the bit I've just replaced. Managed to upgrade my crankset from powerspline to HT2 and make a net profit of £25 that way.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Does make me chuckle to hear people asking top dollar for a new, yet upgraded, bike. Presumably the bike had brakes, saddle, tyres etc when you bought it.... all of which were new. So what happened to all those bits? All you've done is change the spec on the bike to one that you like. Swapping out new stuff for a different set of new stuff will never make it's money back.

It's like buying a house with a nice kitchen, ripping it out and replacing with a different one. Doesn't make the house worth any more money.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    VAT is 20% so I'd want at least that off if buying 2nd hand, even if it was 'new'...
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    But he insists it is not second hand. It's only had road use (wonder what roadies would make of that)
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    If it's that brand new...why has it had bits serviced already...?

One thing i've noticed with used bikes...there's plenty of choice and just as many bargains being snapped up. I can see why people can end up with multiple bikes! :oops:

Sell it for what you really paid...?
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    Gumtree and ebay are the best I have found they have many more people seeing the bike than on any forum you put it on. cash on collection and it will sell provided you don't live somewhere totally remote. If it doesn't sell at those places then your price is too high
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I've now seen the advert he posted here, and his responses to some fairly legitimate concerns.

If he wants opinion so he can learn, then I'm good with that. However, he's only asking in the hope we confirm his veiwpoint. Both this thread and his advert are a waste of our time.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.