Handlebars

snowster
snowster Posts: 490
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking for some new handlebars any idea's? Riding mostly roads at mo and would prefer something with a little more raise than what I have at mo which is Kalloy AL-020, 15mm Rise X 640mm

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Erm, why do you want more rise? Usually on road you want less rise!

Anyway kalloy is cheap BSO stuff, almost any 2" riser bar from a repuatable name will be better, have a look on ebay, something like an Easton Ea30 or EA50 mid (1") or high (2") come up very often.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • snowster
    Any thoughts on these FSA XC-300 XC Riser Bar
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What width and rise are you after and why?
  • Only thing i can guess is you want a more upright seating position for the commute? If so then perhaps a new stem would be better? If not then.........what the others said.
  • snowster
    Looking for a more upright seating position after about 20 miles I seem to suffer a bit of back ache just think its the riding position. A slight riser would improve this?
  • The Rookie
    It may help it, it may make it worse, you'll get backache from strain in your muscles, if you are sitting correctly your weight should be on both hands and buttocks so your back muscles will just be acting as core muscles to hold you back straight, backache frequantly comes from having too long a cockpit meaning your arms aren't supporting your upper torso properly, so you want to move the saddle forward and the bars back without necesarily raising the bars, in fact you may want to drop them to keep your shoulders in the same place.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • snowster
    So to reduce my cockpit area I would need to change my stem? I currently have FSA XC150XT 6 Deg X 31.8mm any recommendations?
  • The Rookie
    Try moving the saddle forward on the rails first, see if that helps at all.

Stem wise, get something as cheap as possible (or borrow one) to size it, then once you know it does what you want, buy one that size.
  • snowster
    i will try moving saddle forward to see if this helps and will keep you posted many thanks
  • snowster
    Just thought i would update you, well after finishing nightwork last night decided to try and move saddle forward on the rails and after 25 miles on country lanes up and down hills not a sign of back ache... many thanks to all
  • The Rookie
    That was cheaper than a new set of bars then!
  • snowster
    Very true but now I have some money burning a hole in my pocket....but still fancy up grading at some point
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    snowster wrote:
    Any thoughts on these FSA XC-300 XC Riser Bar

I just ordered some, ask me again in a few days.

FSA kit is generally good.
  • snowster
    What do you think of these any good? FSA V-Drive Low Rise
  • supersonic
    Any good for what? Do you have a link? I thought you had sorted your problem, confused now to why you keep mentioning bars!
  • supersonic
    Well they are wider than what you have. Is that what you want? Probably heavier! If you want to save weight, weight what you have.
  • The Rookie
    Heavy as heck.....

Any good, well you bolt them on, you turn them, they turn the wheel, better than what you have - no idea.

It sounds like you are inflicted with upgradeitus, this is an affliction that makes you want to change parts in the mistaken belief that it is an upgrade rather than just a change for change sake. New you'll be looking at spending at least £25 to get anything that is any sort of improvement for your cash, £35 for a a meaningful improvement.