Do I really need a mudguard on my road bike?

ar24
ar24 Posts: 17
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Do I?

Are they that beneficial when cycling in the wet? I'm for some reason not keen on the idea of putting one on my bike! :?

Do any of you have one on your bike? Is it worth it?

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Over winter it's worth putting something on whether it's cruds, SKS or full mudguards, they keep your feet and a**e dry plus and more importantly they keep the salt/grit off your bike.
    I'm not a fan of cruds but they kept me cycling over last winter, there's no chance that i'd have cycled in slush or cold wet conditions without them.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Road splash is much dirtier than rainfall, it has rubber, diesel, oil, dog poo etc.
    If the road is wet, mudguards will keep your clothes, feet and bike dry and clean so you will want to ride your bike more.
    If the sight of mudguards on your bike offends you, buy a 2nd bike to use as a winter trainer and keep mudguards and wider tyres on the whole year round.
  • Yes you do and yes they are.

If you don't have mudguards and go for a ride in the pouring rain on muddy roads, don't expect company. Normally I'd point out that this is a great 'litmus test' for a person's involvement in 'real' cycling, but I'll be nice this time. :lol:

On a more serious note, see the above post: salty winter road muck is murder for your bike's components and drivetrain. You really need to be keeping it clean, degreased and lubricated if riding in all weathers at this time of year anyway, but nevertheless mudguards will spare it - and of course you - some of the assault. They don't look bad and they don't cost much. A sound investment.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Also you have to think of the guy behind you getting shite all over him or her.
    Our club insists on mud guards in winter.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Go with the mudguards.
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    ar24 wrote:
    Do I?

Are they that beneficial when cycling in the wet? I'm for some reason not keen on the idea of putting one on my bike! :?

Do any of you have one on your bike? Is it worth it?

Do you really need to ask? Mudguards are a complete waste of time. Do you believe me?
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I'm getting myself some Mk2 Cruds, got soaked tonight and my "good" bike is my only bike.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • notnot
    notnot Posts: 284
    Been thinking of getting some Crud Roadracers. No eyelets for mudguards on my frame - but the cruds are OK to fit without?

I don't much like the idea of adding them to my shiny frame, but if it means I can keep riding regularly over winter... Carbon is a bad material for clothes horses :)
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    notnot wrote:
    Been thinking of getting some Crud Roadracers. No eyelets for mudguards on my frame - but the cruds are OK to fit without?

I don't much like the idea of adding them to my shiny frame, but if it means I can keep riding regularly over winter... Carbon is a bad material for clothes horses :)

They should fit if you can fit a 4mm allen key between the top of the rear tyre and the bottom of the caliper
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Riding my carbon bike at the 'Ride with Brad' Sportive, just cleaned it the day before, so it was in good condition for the 100+mile ride - no mudguards (well I'm not spoiling my show pony with mudguards) despite a set of Crud roadracers sitting in the box at home...
    Finished the ride in the p***ing rain, narrow, gritty country roads wet through and my drivetrain practically grinding every time I changed gear there was so much crud on them, backside, lower back, legs all covered in filth - doh!

What's better, spoiling the aesthetic, or spoiling the components?

Actually, I probably still don't want to put mudguards onto it, but now I have bought a winter/commuter steely that has the proper fittings for mudguards, so I can have the best of both worlds - Show Pony and Workhorse! Had I still just had the one, I would definitely be dusting off the Cruds right about now.
  • notnot wrote:
    I don't much like the idea of adding them to my shiny frame,

A generous layer of electrical masking tape over the dropouts/forks and it'll be fine. Just be careful removing it so you don't remove an lacquer. Its worked fine with mine for years.
  • ar24
    ar24 Posts: 17
    Thanks for the response people. Will definitely get some now!
  • foxydan
    foxydan Posts: 83
    want to get a set of these - thinking about the crud roadracer mk2. Will these fit a giant defy? Are they easy to fit?
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    They are fairly easy to fit as long as you have plenty of spare time, I fitted mine for the first time yesterday and it took just under 2 hours to get them right.

I've just got back from my first outing with them and over rougher surfaces the front tip of the front mudguard was rattling on the tyre. I've just pulled the cable tie a little tighter and this seems to have given it more clearance so fingers crossed :)

I should add, I am talking about Mk2 Crud roadracers.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    You might find this interesting. :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)