Saddlebags

DonBike
DonBike Posts: 35
edited October 2012 in Road general
I have noticed that people get a lot of stick on this forum if their bike has a saddlebag, particularly if it is an expensive / high-end bike.

Even on short rides, I usually take a multi-tool, tube, tyre levers and a pump in a saddlebag.

Now, assuming the above, where do people carry all of that if not in a saddlebag.

Obviously, there are jersey pockets, but if you include cash, key, phone, snacks etc. they can get pretty full, weighty and uncomfortable.

Is there something I am missing? Do people just load up their jerseys, not carry any of that kit or is their an alternative to saddlebags?

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Would these people who complain about bags be the same folk who where team sky kit stretched over their over weight bodies?

It is possible to keep basic kit simply strapped to your seat post. Personally I find my Topeak micro perfec for the job.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Big saddle bags do annoy me..

They just don't look good!

Smaller ones like tube bags such as the arundel uno are nice... but I don't really have a problem keeping the majority in my jersey. If its a problem then the jersey doesn't fit properly.

I do use a slightly bigger saddle bag for longer rides though (eg sportives where you need more food, gilet, warmers etc.).. with two tubes, patches, glue, chain link etc. and tyre levers on the outside.
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    Carry less. Tiny multi-tool, glueless patches, levers. My pump goes on the frame, I'll admit that, but what else do you really need?
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • it's fine to ride with them but it's non-OCP for photos
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    no prob with saddlebags here. have a seat post arm with a slide in topeak box on the bag and pretty much everything goes in there including various clothing options for weather changes. cool? probably not? do i give a fudge? nope
  • I cram everything I need into a small Lezyne micro caddy. It looks fine, it sits just under the saddle, and it's so tightly packed nothing can rattle. Now, some people will tell you that you shouldn't use the seat bag because a) it doesn't look cool b) it weighs 15 grams. So, I could shove all this stuff in my jersey pockets and a) rattle like an old Rover b) ruin the pockets of my £150 jersey c) have an accident and impale myself on a multi-tool, tyre levers, spare tube, Co2 cannister, puncture repair outfit d) spend an age trying to find the things I do need such as sweets, money, phone from my jersey pocket.

I guess it's for each to decide, but for me it's a very easy decision. I'm happy to be uncool in the eyes of those with tatty pockets and 15 grams heavier than those who sound like a mobile toolbox rattling down the road.
    Ridley Orion
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I've no problem with saddlebags at all. Since I also carry photo gear on my rides, I have a Carradice Barley 7-litre bag to hold my compact camera, mini tripod, shutter releases etc as well as the usual spares. I couldn't care less about its fashionability.
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    saddle bag and pump on frame on the winter bike, but on the nice bike i put whatever i need in in a tool bottle in the seatpost bottle cage
    i need more bikes
  • I think brakes ruin the look of my bike so I removed them. I'm starting to dislike the look of the of saddles at the moment so I may remove that soon... It's impracticle but at least it will look good leaning against the cafe for 10 minutes of a 4 hour ride. :wink:
  • Saddlebag on mine. It's handy. Spare tube, multitool, levers and puncture repair kit live in there, with optional room for jacket.
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    DonBike wrote:
    Obviously, there are jersey pockets, but if you include cash, key, phone, snacks etc. they can get pretty full, weighty and uncomfortable.

Weighty and uncomfortable?

Phone, a key (& cash?? :? ) hardly weigh anything. Add a mini pump and a lightweight multitool. The whole lot fit in a neoprene zip bag in one pocket, leaving 2 empty pockets. Properly fitting modern jerseys carry it comfortably and neatly. And of course you can access it all when riding, no stopping and fannying about.

Each to their own of course.
  • I usually use a small toolbag under the saddle but as someone mentioned there is always a tool bottle to fit into the bottle cage.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=16400
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have a Topeak seatpack for the bare essentials when I'm out for an hour or two. For the longer weekend rides I go all retro and like Hoopdriver I put on a proper saddlebag (coincidentally also a Carradice Barley). Room enough for food and various bits of clothing, camera, phone, maps, tools, spares etc.

I also think it looks rather stylish!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If I don't leave the essential bike stuff on the bike then I'd forget it. I don't use it anywhere else so it makes perfect sense for it not to part company with the bike. Couldn't give a rat's arse what it looks like.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    I recently posted this on this Forum on a related topic.....

Don't drop the saddle bag and put less or nothing in those pockets.

Reasons:-

1.) Every time you lift yourself out of the saddle you lift the additional weight..... If it's in your pockets!

2.) Its very annoying once you’re out of the saddle to have the weight of the kit swaying from side to side behind your back.

3.) On hot days it just adds to the insulating effect at the base of the back adding to additional sweating (dehydration).

4.) The contents of the pockets can end up covered in sweat and along with your clothing just adding additional weight.

5.) The only items that are smart to keep in pockets are those items that need accessing whilst on the move, such as route card in clear plastic wallet, gels, energy bars, maybe a banana or other nibbles to suit.

So basically if you don't have a support car anything that will be needed whilst stationary :- puncture kit, rain cape, spares etc are much better off being carried in that saddle bag or as some do in a holder in the second bottle cage.
  • I've got a Carradice Pendle saddlebag (11 litres) with quick release mount...and I love it. Admittedly its for commuting and putting clothes etc in but funk it, I use it on pretty much all rides as it contains all my bits and bobs (tools/tube/pump/wallet etc etc) and waterproofs if I need them.

I put too much stuff in of course but I doubt it adds much time to my journey...
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I think the second (tool) bottle cage is a great idea, I hadn't thought of that. I have a small under-seat Toppeak bag just big enough for a spare tube, mini inflator and CO2, and a set of allen keys & tyre levers. Was thinking of getting a small mobile phone case I could fix to the stem as I don't like carrying that around in my rear jersey pocket.
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I've got a Carradice Trax and I couldn't give a monkeys :)
  • alihisgreat
    Sprool wrote:
    I think the second (tool) bottle cage is a great idea, I hadn't thought of that. I have a small under-seat Toppeak bag just big enough for a spare tube, mini inflator and CO2, and a set of allen keys & tyre levers. Was thinking of getting a small mobile phone case I could fix to the stem as I don't like carrying that around in my rear jersey pocket.

They're only good for shorter rides though as otherwise you need both the cages for drinks.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    They're only good for shorter rides though as otherwise you need both the cages for drinks.

Unless you have 3 sets of bottle cage bosses :D
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    Ron Stuart wrote:

1.) Every time you lift yourself out of the saddle you lift the additional weight..... If it's in your pockets!

2.) Its very annoying once you’re out of the saddle to have the weight of the kit swaying from side to side behind your back.

3.) On hot days it just adds to the insulating effect at the base of the back adding to additional sweating (dehydration).

4.) The contents of the pockets can end up covered in sweat and along with your clothing just adding additional weight.

5.) The only items that are smart to keep in pockets are those items that need accessing whilst on the move, such as route card in clear plastic wallet, gels, energy bars, maybe a banana or other nibbles to suit.

So basically if you don't have a support car anything that will be needed whilst stationary :- puncture kit, rain cape, spares etc are much better off being carried in that saddle bag or as some do in a holder in the second bottle cage.

I'll say it again - You are carrying too much junk. My entire emergency kit, plus phone, keys, card, etc all fits comfortably in one pocket with room to spare. It doesn't rattle, sway or dangle. It doesn't make me look like Quasimodo. It doesn't cause the slightest bit of hassle so why on earth would I want an ugly great saddle-bag hanging off the back of my bike?

Junk expands to fill the available storage. It's as true in cycling as it is in every other walk of life.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I prefer to keep everything in a small saddle bag, so its there when I set off and I don't need to pack my jersey and risk leaving something behind. I also don't like risking stuff falling out of my jersey, although I did leave my saddle bag unzipped recently when I stopped off!

Each to his own I guess.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Ron Stuart
    Mr Will wrote:

I'll say it again - You are carrying too much junk. My entire emergency kit, plus phone, keys, card, etc all fits comfortably in one pocket with room to spare. It doesn't rattle, sway or dangle. It doesn't make me look like Quasimodo. It doesn't cause the slightest bit of hassle so why on earth would I want an ugly great saddle-bag hanging off the back of my bike?

Junk expands to fill the available storage. It's as true in cycling as it is in every other walk of life.

Very happy for you Jimmy, carry on the good work :|

Oh! and by the way I don't have an ugly great saddlebag hanging off the back of my bike either.

Fashion Police Alert :!:
  • Mr Will wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

totally agree with you regarding your second point!!

but what if you come off? landing on your keys/tools/phone and so on is gonna hurt no?
  • Ron Stuart
    It doesn't have to be ugly or large or both, it doesn't even have to hang off the back of the saddle but what if it did so what HTC hung transponder kits that looked just like small saddle bags off their saddles.
    I often don't have anything hanging off the back of my saddle as you can see here, oh! and mines the red bike :lol:
    548608_10151250303029524_789275883_n.jpg :idea:
    and I respect the boys who just what to do what they what to do, it's their business not mine :wink:
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Mr Will wrote:
    Junk expands to fill the available storage.

Amen.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    hipshot wrote:
    DonBike wrote:

Phone, a key (& cash?? :? ) hardly weigh anything. Add a mini pump and a lightweight multitool. The whole lot fit in a neoprene zip bag in one pocket, leaving 2 empty pockets. Properly fitting modern jerseys carry it comfortably and neatly. And of course you can access it all when riding, no stopping and fannying about.

Err, why would you want to access a mini-pump, lightweight multitool, your door key, cash or a phone whilst riding? :shock:

PP
  • alihisgreat
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    hipshot wrote:
    DonBike wrote:

Err, why would you want to access a mini-pump, lightweight multitool, your door key, cash or a phone whilst riding? :shock:

PP

projectiles to throw in a fit of bike-rage at bad drivers.
  • DevonClimber
    DevonClimber Posts: 90
    edited October 2012
    Very small spesh saddle bag, tube, co2, 2 levers, microtool, slim payg mobile...all in. In my Jersey, food and gillet/jacket.
    Cafe stop, quickly wip saddle bag off in attempt at looking a bit cool. Sad? Yes. Care? No.
    “If you do what always do, you'll get what you always get.”
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I got a small Evoc saddlebag to hold emergency supplies. 2 tyre levers, multitool, patches and a spare tube (maybe 2) will live in there. Small pump lives on the frame. Sorted :)

As and when I do Sportives, anything else will be going in jersey pockets and kept to a minimum.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava