Strava,Endomondo,Mapmyride?

Davdandy
Davdandy Posts: 571
edited November 2013 in The cake stop
Of the three listed which is the most favoured app.I am not interested in testing my cycling prowess against someone in the States or in southern yemen but an app that does the basics well,that is map each ride and log them.

I have used Strava twice but still getting my head around it.So what is the one for you?
Cannondale CAAD 8 105
Rockrider 8.1

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Strava does the basics as well as the others. I've used Map My Ride for manually mapping rides afterwards (I found the app was poor) and Endomondo for recording on the go previously but now I stick with Strava. It does what the others do and even if you really don't care about how well you do on the climbs compared to others I reckon you will actively push yourself that bit harder to try and improve on your own best times. My phone battery also seems to last longer with Strava but I haven't tested this to be a fact.
  • badly_dubbed
    badly_dubbed Posts: 1,350
    strava for me, but also use garmin connect....

i like strava for reasons mentioned above....seeing how high i can get on the boards and as a lot of mates use it, theres always some healthy competition, which is only good thing when training :)

i dont think id push myself nearly as hard if i didnt use it to be fair....but on easy days it can be brutal trying to stop yourself gunning it up the sections.....
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    So its 2-0 for Strava.

A friend of mine uses Endomondo and said it was easier to use,but how hard are they to actually use.I have used Strava to log two rides and seems pretty decent so i dont really know what my friend meant by being easier to use,any ideas guys?
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • I use all three. Mapmyride is good for route planning. Endomondo for tracking and then export it to Strava for a bit of competition.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I use Endomondo - the pro version was up for 29p on Google store yesterday. Does all I need and allows me to see my best times, best miles - shows a very clear calendar of my rides and a good map to show where I've been.

Quick, easy and free if you just want to record yourself
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I use mapmyride, never used either of the others.
    mapmyride does have some issues, in that it sticks "loops" in, diverting along side roads when you are trying to map along a main road.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • I tend to use Map My Ride to plan rides but Strava to record them. Even if you are not wanting to compete for the segments, it can be very useful to track your progress if you can compare your times over specific test sections.
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    STRAVA.

/end.

(its just the best.)
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Strava for recording your rides
    Bike route Toaster for planning them
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    oh and bikehike for planning routes.
  • Another for Strava easy to use and does not drain battery.... i tried Endomondo but drained battery like nothing else
  • Another for Strava easy to use and does not drain battery.... i tried Endomondo but drained battery like nothing else
    but Strava don't do Blackberry, hence Endomondo for tracking for me
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Another vote for Strava here, I used to use endomondo as well but find the new version with adverts drains the battery and also drops GPS connection a lot.

Could this be that my phone is quite old by today's standards? I use a HTC Wildfire :?

It works fine with Strava though.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Mapmyride is sh*t.
  • Strava
    Just got an email from them saying I have lost a KOM (on a hill I thought no one ever rode up)
    bugger will have to go out and try harder!
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    I use Strava mostly and find it does everything I need it to. The only problem I get is battery life on rides of over 3 hours or so - nothing more infuriating than finishing the ride and finding out the battery died before downloading it. I use an iPhone 4S with the standard battery - I believe there is something called a Power Monkey that gets over this problem.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    Another vote for Strava.

Today I should do an easy ride but I just know I will end up going for a few..........
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I use Strva and Garmin Connect.

I used to use MMR, but have now deleted my account after giving up with them. They seem to develop for developing sake, but don't seem to QA test anything and also have been taking out features like the ability to record laps (that was a few upgrades ago). The final straw for me was the last upgrade, when I couldn't get the elevation data to work, not matter what computer I tried - that and also half the maps failing to load.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Pross
    laurentian wrote:
    I use Strava mostly and find it does everything I need it to. The only problem I get is battery life on rides of over 3 hours or so - nothing more infuriating than finishing the ride and finding out the battery died before downloading it. I use an iPhone 4S with the standard battery - I believe there is something called a Power Monkey that gets over this problem.

Do you switch off all your background data when riding? Not sure about the iPhone but I get 6 hours easily out of my Samsung and had power left after a 12 hour when I used airplane mode.
  • Diamant49
    Diamant49 Posts: 101
    I got my first smartphone at the weekend and used Strava yesterday - instant addiction! The only thing missing for me (or to be precise Mrs Diamant) is live tracking. I have type 1 diabetes and usually ride on my own - although I have only had to be picked up once when I went into a hypo, she is convinced I will fall into a ditch somewhere etc etc. So I have to print out maps of my intended route and for a long ride call in every hour or so - problem comes if I want to go off route (I am generally not brave enough to risk the fall out...). But to be honest its a reasonable concern.

From what I can see Endomondo offers live tracking, but the missus would have to be a member as well, otherwise I have to let all the world see where I am (though TBH no one else would really care). Alternatives would be a phone tracking app (but the first one I looked at seemed to be designed for tracking kids & keeping tabs of known (albeit American sex offenders - seemed a tad creepy..) . So I could use Endomondo & export to Strava - am I right that Strava could be used like this if I was using Garmin? (in other words please help me make a business/Health & Safety case for a Garmin 500!)
  • Pross
    If you're going to use Endomondo for real-time tracking anyway then I wouldn't bother with Strava. You can just upload your Endomondo data to Strava afterwards.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    and you don't need to pay to use Endomondo if you want to see the live tracking
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    thecrofter wrote:
    Another for Strava easy to use and does not drain battery.... i tried Endomondo but drained battery like nothing else
    but Strava don't do Blackberry, hence Endomondo for tracking for me

There is a app for the Blackberry that works with Strava. Its called Fitness Tracker. Works perfectly but you can't edit or delete the data before transmission which would be a disadvantage to certain folk!
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    MMR sucks battery harder than a five dollar hooker.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Cryki
    Cryki Posts: 19
    for me in the UK endomodo is a great app, you can link your data to myfitnesspal, it gives you fastest mile and split times like strava, i find it a lot easier to use and the battery won't drain if you turn off the voice coach and just use it to track your route. I cycle out in the sticks and my gps is very good.

Strava it seems everything you need it to do you have to be a premium user which i am not paying silly money for. Its endomodo for me.
  • Pross
    Zombie-Resurrection-Poster.jpg