Buying help for a noob!!!!

dirty biker
dirty biker Posts: 34
edited October 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi all, new to the sport with my wife and been looking for a while now to buy a bike. Looked at so many but still a bit confused when what bike suits what type of riding or tracks. I intend on going to Llandgela every weekend more if i get the time and would like to advance up on the tracks i.e. starting on the blue course then moving onto the red then black if i ever get that far lol. I'm healthy and fit as do allot of sport any way so that should not be a problem its just what bike to buy. I'm looking to spend £800 but can push it if something amazing comes along. It is on the cycle2work scheme. I like the spec on the cube acid 2013 but it does not get a good rating on here which i cannot understand as the spec is so good for its price. I also was looking at the VooDoo Bokor Mountain Bike 2011/2012 or Boardman Mountain Bike Team 2011/2012 but the that would be pushing my limit as need to get gear too. Please could some advise on the things i have said or if there are allot better bikes out there at the same price point me in the right direction. Thank you for any help.

Kind Regards

Darren

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Cube Acid gets a fair review here, and is worth consideration, has a good spec if a little weighty.

The Bokor is a different sort of bike, more front travel, heavier: designed for somewhat harder terrain than the Cube or Boardman. The Boardman is also light and well equipped, but not significantly better than the Comp at £650.
  • So is the cube acid a more all rounder bike?
  • supersonic
    It is a cross country bike. The Bokor is more all round, as it will cope with harder terrain better.
  • AGH, so i would be better off going with the bokor then. Is there any better bikes around the £800 price mark for all round use please. What would Llandgela be classed as, A trail course? I'm all new so sorry for questions if they seem a bit dumb ones just want to make sure i'm getting the right bike. Thank you
  • supersonic
    For red and blue trail centres any of the bikes will be fine, the lighter ones may be quicker, but once the going gets hard on black stuff, the Bokor will be better. But the weight may feel a lot on climbs and normal xc type stuff.

I'd get the Boardman, halfway house in travel, good kit.
  • Thanks for the help.

any1 anymore recommendations at that budget ?
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    The Boardman bikes are fantastic value for money with great specs, I've currently got a FS Team which is a lot of bike for the money and up to recently had the Comp hard tail which was my first proper mountain bike which handled red routes with ease. I only sold it because I took advantage of the Cycle2work scheme to get the FS.

If your c2w scheme is the Halfords one then check to see if free accessories are included, when I got mine last month the c2w voucher stated I was entitled to free accessories worth 12.5% of the bike value, the bike was £1000 so I was able to choose £125 worth of accessories for free.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • Scott Aspect 610 2013 Mountain Bike. What about this, i have herd some good things about scott bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its' no-where near as good as the others we've talked about, the big name brands (Scott/Spesh/Trek etc) tend to offer very poor value at this price point and are trading on their name not the bikes!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • I know you said about the top bike not that good in this price range but i seen this Cube LTD Mountain Bike 2012 and i have herd some great reviews on it. Any info please?
  • Lapierre Raid 700 2013 Mountain Bike?
  • supersonic
    You need to provide links.
  • Sorry not done that before. How do i do it please?
  • supersonic
    Find the link of the bike (in your web browser). Copy and paste it into a post here. IE this page is:

viewtopic.php?f=40028&t=12881814
  • Thank you i will do it tomorrow when i finish work.
  • I have a Cube Ltd.
    A good big, with a decent spec, but you need to think about what you intend to ride it on.
    It's very much a light XC racer - good for trails and hilly, long-distance stuff, not so good for big drops and rocky stuff.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • I Got a Giant XTC 3 2012 on the Cycle scheme where as the spec isnt as High as the Cube Acid (which I also looked at) The frame is stronger and would be worthy to spend money on upgrading components Ive ridden It on Numerous trails including Black runs (Brechfa Raven) and she seemed more than capable of the task Im currently looking at moving into the Full Sus department now Giant Anthem 3 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What makes you state the Giant frame is stronger, and the Cube not worthy of upgrades?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.