What to service after 100 hours riding

R8JimBob88
R8JimBob88 Posts: 285
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Afternoon all,

I've owned my mountain bike (Ghost AMR 5700) for almost 12 months now and apart from a regular hose down and re-lube I havent "serviced" anything specifically.

I've done about 130hrs on it this year (according to my garmin) so I persume at least 100 hours of that is moving. I'm going to ring my LBS soon and ask for a price.

My question is, after the amount of usage that it has had, what exactly is in need of a service?

My thoughts are:

Forks (Just some Fox OEM ones)
Rear Shock (X-fusion)
Hubs (Shimano XT)

Anything else to add to the list? What about the headset?

Ive replaced the chain this year already, the chain rings and cassette are still healthy. The brakes have been bled recently and perform ok and the wheels have recently been trued.

Ive noticed the forks dont feel like they once did and they are supposed to have 120mm of travel, I never use more than 90mm of this even after a stonking big hit. I have played with the air presures in them and the is just right. Cheap forks or could this been the sign of a well needed service? In contrast, the rear shock feels great.

Any input appriciated. Never know, I might even have a crack at this service malarky myself!
If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....

Comments

• shemap
    shemap Posts: 8
    Its worth servicing your fork seals regularly even if you dont send them off for a full service regularly. Its a cheap job down your local shop, so I never bother even trying myself. I send my forks off approx every 18 months to get a good going over.

other stuff I just change as and when needed. usually a bottom bracket, cassette and chain yearly. Sprockets on the rear mech, especially the bottom one is usually an 18 monthly job. My dropper post, KS suggested 6 hour servicing, so far its had noting but a wash in 18 months and its great still. A lot of stuff is well over played when it comes to servicing in my opinion! I ride 2-4 times in a week in wet rocky and muddy Welsh conditions as a comparison.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Your LBS must love you.

Just maintain stuff as you go along. If wheels are spinning true and smooth with no play at all I'd leave well alone.

There is a case for replacing fork seals I guess but I certainly wont be doing the seals on my Reba this season and I've done about 1,750km on them since I got them a year ago but they are tickedy boo.

Will be giving my Boxxer's a full service (myself) before next season as the seals need replacing anyway - so might as well do the lot.

Basically if stuff is moving smoothly and quietly I'd leave well alone.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Thanks all. Think i'll get a friend to show me how to fully service my forks. I'll leave everything else at this stage as all seems to be working ok!
    If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    As above bikes don't need routine servicing like a car they thrive on regular fettling i.e. if something feels wrong or starts behaving differently, attend to it asap but otherwise leave it alone

Check for play in the wheels/suspension/headset from time-to-time .

XT hubs last forever if you learn how to adjust the bearings
    Have never had a headset wear out in nearly 20 years of MTBing
    Forks/shocks I am unconvinced about regular servicing esp after e.g. 20 hours of riding. I think the first proppa service is important because ime forks and shocks have just enough functionality to get them out of the door and having them properly serviced while they are still new-ish can prevent problems later on.