new handlebars - how long is too long ?

elredso
elredso Posts: 94
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
looking to replace the stock 680mm bars on my jekyll, as they feel soooo short compared to my old monkey bars.

i read the article on BR about longer the better - but ideally I dont want the expense of changing the stem as well, and the article is saying i should shorten it as i step up the length of bars. the current spec is below - can anyone recommned maximum length I should go for ? and decent bars too !

Bars: Cannondale C3 riser, 680x20mm, 6061 alloy
Stem: Cannondale C4, 1.5", 31.8, 5 deg.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    One thing you missed is the stem length.

But 'the longer the better' is BS. The right length is right.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Impossible to say. Everyone will be comfortable with different setups. Personally on my go to bike - I went from a 680mm Easton EA50 Monkey Bar to a 711mm Easton Alu Haven and that seems like the sweet spot for me. So much so that I bought another Easton Haven as they are/were going for half price.

I run a 720mm Bonty Big Earl on my DH bike (guess that's pretty narrow by todays standards) and again I find it spot on. Plenty of balance when going flat out but not too big to hinder steering when things get technical
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited October 2012
    elredso wrote:
    i read the article on BR about longer the better - but ideally I dont want the expense of changing the stem as well
    The reasoning behind this is that wider bars will make you lean forward more so they are usually combined with a shorter stem to restore your riding position. If you fit wider bars to your existing stem it will simply make you lean forward more and make your steering feel rather odd.

There are a few combos that work well enough for trail riding
    680 bar + 90mm stem
    720 + 70
    740 + 50 (mbr standard :) )

Thing to bear in mind is that 680->740 is 60mm or 2.3" i.e just over an inch either side so it's not a huge difference

inexpensive bars and stems on Superstar not bad quality either
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can always start big and cut down.
  • Something I wrote ages ago...
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    schweiz
    Huge generalization here.. but..

Short stem = quicker steering but can be twitchy, better for decending.
    Long stem = slower steering but more stable, better for climbing.

Thin bars = quicker steering but more twitchy, easier climbing + less control on descents.
    Wide bars = slower steering but more stable, harder cliimbing + more control on descents.

So I've opted for a short stem with wide bars...
    The twitchyness of the short stem is counteracted by the stability of the wider bar. Giving better decending at the expense of harder climbing.

Long stem + thin bars..
    Slower but stable steering is counteracted by the quicker steering of thin bars.
    Giving more economical climbing at the expense of less controll descending.

Short Stem + Thin Bars...
    Very twitchy.

Long Stem Wide Bars...
    Super slow steering.

So...
    For XC the longer stem/thin bars is beneficial because it helps with climbing.
    DH/FR/AM a shorter stem + wide bars offer downhill stability and better riding position.

Thats all theory btw... I've just written is from what I believe the differences are between bar/stem combos.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is the narrowest part of your local trails?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • elredso
    i got some kore ones from chain reaction for £20 at 740, figure can cut them down to 710 if i dont like them being so wide - but i couldnt add on to a shorter pair (plus being significantly reduced helped too)

in terms of width the only thing i am aware of are the two trees at cannock in the first section, that you have to slalom through as they are tight together and on a turn too - might clout them on that i suppose !
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    elredso wrote:
    i got some kore ones from chain reaction for £20 at 740, figure can cut them down to 710 if i dont like them being so wide - but i couldnt add on to a shorter pair (plus being significantly reduced helped too)

in terms of width the only thing i am aware of are the two trees at cannock in the first section, that you have to slalom through as they are tight together and on a turn too - might clout them on that i suppose !

on the Monkey trail?

seen quite a few broken bars where people have missjuged things.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    elredso wrote:
    You won't be the first - or the last

I have 790s on one bike and they are a liability in places.

FWIW 740 is fine around Cannock
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    cooldad wrote:
    But 'the longer the better' is BS. The right length is right.

This is what my wife tells me.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    She's just being nice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • elredso
    looks like i might be a bit stuck - apparently cannondales 1.5" is different to other 1.5" stem - and they dont seem to produce a 50mm stem - shortest I can find is 60mm and they are sold out !
  • supersonic
    What fork do you have?
  • elredso
    its a sektor tk (rockshox) - does the odd 1.5" only refer to the lefty forks ?
  • supersonic
    Indeed it does! So any 1.5!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I tried 740mm bars and ended up hanging over the bars with the stem cap in my nuts when I tried to ride between 2 trees on one of my regular rides. By a process of elimination I have found the two trees are about 701mm apart my bars are now 700mm wide across the grip end caps. I would like wider bars but I like riding that particular route too much so its 700mm bars or a chainsaw.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • elredso
    Sweet thanks supersonic-not a cheap upgrade then as got to get a new Stem too now!
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Wow, I thought my 700mm bars were wide. Well they were when I went from 600mm bars.
  • bars on my RL are 685mm

bars on my Canyon are 750mm
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    It depends on the bike and terrain you'll be riding on as well. I have 700mm bars on my ex8 which feel great but I have 780mm on my dh bike which also feel really good.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    I ride with 760mm Nukeproof bars on a 50mm Renthal stem. Love the set up.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    750's are fine round cannock, I run 750mm easton havocs on both bikes and find them spot on for me, anything narrower feels weird now!
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    elredso wrote:

I thought I was an utter n00b not being able to get past that bit! I hate those two trees!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Just measured mine. 625mm
  • supersonic
    Quick look at mine:

580, 600, 635, 635, 635, 660, 660, 685, 685. 635 being my favourite for XC/trail riding.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Went up to a 660mm on one bike, that felt too wide, so now stop at about 640mm, my retro is still on 580's as wider looks all wrong!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • i measured the distance between hands when sat relaxed and comfy, went for bars of a simialr size, thankfully on-one had some for a tenner in on of the mad sales so wasnt an expensive experiment! sat at 710 for a fair while (came from 635mm), them saw some 740mm funn bars in crc's sale, picked them up cheap to see how i got on with them and feels spot on, but then ive got 48" chest and on the narrow bars felt like i was squashing my ribs all the time!! a few of the guys i ride with are on 760,777,780's one looks a little odd as he's tall but average build the other two guys are tall (6ft2+) and have bigger upper bodies, they do have a few issues with trees mind!! narrow ST you can hear them pingign off the branches! :-D
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481