Rack & Pannier sets

Super Gibo
Super Gibo Posts: 10
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
Hi All,

I'm toying with the idea of getting myself a rack and panniers for my Carrera Subway 2. i'm riding about 28 mile a day, 3 or 4 days a week, and i'm getting pretty fed up with putting all my gear in a ruck suck.

I've heard that it makes a big difference to ride with a proper set up, so was just wondering if anyone had any advise or recommendations about what to go for.

I was looking at the Topeak Super Tourist DX Rack, and the Topeak MTX Trunk Bag.

Let me know what you think.

Cheer guys.

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Does your subway have disc brakes on the seat-stay? These interfere with rack mounts so you need a special disc compatible version.
    The Topeak Super Tourist is a bit heavy duty just for commuting loads, the Explorer is lighter and neater for smaller loads but the same max load rating. Topeak use special MTX rails for mounting MTX bags.
    Personally I like racks to be simple and versatile with no special bits. Rixen and Kaul make a rail system that can mount to any rack if you like rails.
    If you overload the top (eg with 12-packs of toilet roll), you can obscure any light on the seatpost. A lamp bracket at the rear of the rack is a great idea.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Alternatively, if your bike has the mountings for a proper rack, pop to Halfords and check the Bikehut rack out. I got one for my hybrid, it's light and will take 25Kg load. I also got a pair of Bikehut panniers to clip on the sides, they are big and have easily swallowed camping equipment with room to spare!
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava