Is this P Season

Paul E
Paul E Posts: 2,052
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
I am starting to get more and more, I do think the krylions I have on my bike are wearing out with the mileage I am doing now as they are cutting up more and the chunk of glass that gave me one this morning put another nice gash in the rear tyre, luckily I only noticed it when I was putting my bike away and I had time to fix it before starting work.

I know you get more in the rain but this is getting on my nads...

Comments

• Yep, two in the last week after none for months, both seemingly caused by small pointy stones sticking in the rubber and working their way through. I'm a bit disappointed with my Conti Gator Hardshells, to be honest. They probably need replacing now, but they've proved fairly vulnerable.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    The commuting bike had one puncture, once just after the snow melt. The back tyre was worn and a 2 inch thorn went through the side "above" the belt.

I am not commuting so much now but 2008 - 2011 I was doing a 30 mile round trip all year

It has 28mm Marathon Plusses
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    After a rash of punctures through my marathon plusses, I've now put slime in my front tube. It does seem slower though.
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    Paul E wrote:
    I am starting to get more and more, I do think the krylions I have on my bike are wearing out
    After being superb for ages my krylions seemed to reach a sudden cliff edge in terms of P resistance over about a month the last week of which was 3 in one week and then they came off...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Nope and after those bad years I now have hard shells on the wet weather commuter and halo rails on the fgss and no pump, tubes or toolkit in your face PF.

Guess what will happen tomorrow.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I had my second in over twenty years today. Luckily I had everything I needed to get back on the road after just a few minutes of faffing around. A big phillips screw in the tread. No practical form of puncture protection would have stopped it.

You may think two visits in twenty years is pretty good and so do I, but then cars don't get as many visits as bikes do.

Mrs EKE was very impressed with how quickly I changed the wheel and likened me to the Mclaren F1 pit crew.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Two recently, and a dodgy conti valve - hate conti tubes (only ones my LBS stocks). Big glass shard this week, and god knows what a couple of weeks ago in the front - psst flat that fast
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Why do you hate conti tubes? Mine are usually fine (though had a puncture this morning!).
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • fossyant wrote:
    Two recently, and a dodgy conti valve - hate conti tubes (only ones my LBS stocks). Big glass shard this week, and god knows what a couple of weeks ago in the front - psst flat that fast

re conti tubes, I bought a five pack from Wiggle a while back and the valve cores unscrew either when taking the cap off or removing the (screw on) pump hose. Not impressed, I've tightened them up but still had problems.
  • So far the mavic aksion tyres haven't been a problem, did pick up a rear puncture a week after I fitted them from some nasty glass shards, But since then fine.

To be fair the rear is looking a bit cut up but seems fine.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    kiwimatt wrote:
    Paul E wrote:
    I am starting to get more and more, I do think the krylions I have on my bike are wearing out
    After being superb for ages my krylions seemed to reach a sudden cliff edge in terms of P resistance over about a month the last week of which was 3 in one week and then they came off...

I think mine have hit that cliff edge too. I will give them this week if not they are being replaced. What are people reccomendations as I have been looking at pro4 endurances.
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    Paul E wrote:
    What are people reccomendations as I have been looking at pro4 endurances.
    With winter coming I just went straight off the deep end got Durano Plus in 23c. First couple of weeks really noticed the increased weight but now it just seems normal. 400 miles in no p* . Someone else has said they think the compound has as much to do with it as the extra rubber round the tread which given that the wee moulding tag things haven't even worn off yet I'm starting to agree with - which makes them sound hard and unforgiving but they're pretty comfy and fine in the wet
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    The single durano plus I have on my plug looks awful, loads of cuts, rubber looks a bit perished. The Gatorskin on the back of the same bike looks almost new. But Gatorskins are slidey everyone agrees. I would try some Rubino Pro's if I were you, only £16.80 still on Ribble and lots of people here love them.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/vittoria-rubino-pro-3-folding-tyre/vitttyrf610
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono