A question on eBay listings

jefflad
jefflad Posts: 315
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
last week my wife was talking about selling some stuff on ebay... I told her to get on with it and here are 'our' login details.

Well, I've just had a call off the missus panicking that she's put something on for 99p by accident and it's now received a bid straight away when she meant to put it up for bids starting around £60.00. The option she asking me is the cancel the listing and re-list it, would she incur any charges if she did this as I'm guessing not but you never know. Of course we could leave it and see what she gets but she's too worried to leave it...

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Don't think any charges if you cancel it early, no. Maybe the cost of putting it up, which will be about 30p on a 99p item.

tbh I wouldn't worry about putting it on for 99p, it'll get to what it's worth, roughly. A high starting bid often puts people off.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    You will probably only get charged the listing fee (if you incurred one).

You will be charged more for starting the item at £60.00 than you did at 99p though. If its likely to make £60.00 (see completed listings for similar items) then I would leave it on. It will attract more interest if it starts at a lower price.

Edit: Yeah, what he said :lol:
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Tell us what it is and we'll bid it up to £60, on the condition that we don't have to complete the purchase if we end up winning the auction :mrgreen:
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    I put all my stuff on at 99p, an item will sell for what it's worth.
  • jefflad
    First of all, thanks for the quick replies!

As it doesn't cost anything to cancel it, I'll ponder it for a couple of days but agree it should eventually find its level... hopefully :-/
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    you have to give a reasonwhy you are cancelling an item

sometimes eBay get arsey about it
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • jefflad
    mudcow007 wrote:

Hmmmm I'll have to think up a good excuse then in case she decides to pull it....
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Listed the firstborn's Islabike at 10:30 this morning with a start of 100 and a BIN at160, sold by 12:00 ..... Should have put the BIN higher!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    jefflad wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Hmmmm I'll have to think up a good excuse then in case she decides to pull it....
    Just copy what everyone else uses - 'Item has been damaged'
  • dhope
    SimonAH wrote:
    Listed the firstborn's Islabike at 10:30 this morning with a start of 100 and a BIN at160, sold by 12:00 ..... Should have put the BIN higher!
    Thought the same of my 2yr old (but unused) Rapha jersey. Bought a size too small for £30 in the sample sale, couple of years later saw it lying around, stuck it up for BIN £90. Aussie bloke bought it 10 minutes later.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    kelsen wrote:
    jefflad wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Yeah, it's an automated thing and there's already a list of reasons you can tick to say why.

Damaged, sold elsewhere, no longer want to sell etc.

But I'd just leave it. It'll go for what it's worth and if you cancel it you'll put off the current bidder. Fewer bidders= lower price.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • dhope
    bails87 wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    jefflad wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Yeah, it's an automated thing and there's already a list of reasons you can tick to say why.

Damaged, sold elsewhere, no longer want to sell etc.

But I'd just leave it. It'll go for what it's worth and if you cancel it you'll put off the current bidder. Fewer bidders= lower price.

Also, don't worry if it goes a few days without bids. It all happens in the last 10 minutes - the first 6 days are just about having it sitting there for people to add to their watchlists.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo