Hardest post war TDF stage?

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,095
edited October 2012 in Pro race
Pictures/Video or it never happened, here's my choice. Briancon - Aix les Bains 1948

IMG_20120927_181909.jpg

Gino Bartelli battling with Louison Bobet on the Croix de Fer. They'd already tackled the Galibier and had the Cols de Porte, Cucheron and Granier ahead of them before arriving in Aix les Bains.

Bartelli punctures at the summit, DS Binda tells Bartelli to hang back for a group of 6 while Bobet and another rider battle on against a headwind to Grenoble. They come together at the foot of the Col de Porte where an exhausted Bobet cracks and finishes 9 minutes down on Bartelli.

WFT Bartelli doesn't even have a cable pull derailleur on his bike!

and the stage on video:-

http://www.ina.fr/sport/cyclisme/video/ ... ns.fr.html
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,180
    Proper racing back then - tell kids today and they'll laff in your face!

Can't add anything as my cycling history is crap. However, whilst I admire top pros today I at least feel I can guess at what it is like to race a modern Tour stage (although I'd probably under-estimate it). I can't even begin to comprehend how they raced in those conditions, on those roads and with that equipment.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,161
    Great flim clip. I'm trying to imagine a modern GC leader on the side of the road with tyre levers and pump.

When did riders stop carrying their own spares?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    davidof wrote:
    Pictures/Video or it never happened, here's my choice. Briancon - Aix les Bains 1948

IMG_20120927_181909.jpg

Gino Bartelli battling with Louison Bobet on the Croix de Fer.

Lovely clip and all that, but sorry to be pedantic: I think you might mean "Bartali"?
  • davidof
    Yes, mea culpa.
    Instagramme
  • ocdupalais
    Don't worry - if you search "Bartelli" you'll find you're not the only one...
    Although I quite like the idea that he was such a hard b@stard and they rode races with such ferocious brutality that it actually physically changed the way his name was spelled...
  • The thing that struck me was that the descent that was horrible, the ones that wanted it went for it, and the ones in the back were those complaining it was too dangerous and trying to organise a "go slow".

Or something
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    If you could go back in time and give one of those guys a modern Pro bike, I wonder how that would affect their performance?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If you could go back in time and give one of those guys a modern Pro bike, I wonder how that would affect their performance?

ummm... Ive thought about this a lot and I think they'd go faster
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Sport's different now.

That's basically about testing a rider's 'tank'.

It's now all about the 'engine'.
  • Pross

They'd never get through that mud (and the carbon frames would melt in those conditions anyway).
  • Pross wrote:

They'd never get through that mud (and the carbon frames would melt in those conditions anyway).

They seemed to manage OK at the Giro!

Suffer-in-the-mud-540x357.jpg
    actu_maillot_heulot_300.jpg

Cyclismas-Riishomon-1-2-TourDeFrance1996-Riis.jpg

France%201996.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    What is the story behind that one?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Pross wrote:

It wasn't mud but Frigging "Gravel" (or mud, stones or rocks)

A fortnights holiday was spent on those climbing roads with Saddle Bags & Tents.
    If you hit a rock at speed you could go over the side.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Bjarne Riis with his drugs winning the TDF.

He pulled those faces, up to a couple of years earlier and got very little reward and then he joined Telekom.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ocdupalais

160 miles over Pyrenees (7 climbs I think!) in fierce heat - St 17 of '96 Tour should've been a procession for Indurain (stage went through his home town)... A charged and charging break of Festina riders plus Riis and Ullrich put horrible amounts of time into everyone.

Boardman says it was the most brutal day on the bike he ever had...
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    edited October 2012
    I always think of the 1992 stage from St Gervais to Sestrieres as the hardest stage with most climbing in the last couple of decades. 6 big French Alps climbs (Saisies, Cormet de Roselend, Col d'Iseran, Mont Cenis, Sestriere), and 255 km. Chiappucci won it after a 100 km+ solo - huge time gaps in the top 10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orMnutFbptQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqoH6R-9 ... ure=relmfu
  • davidof
    OCDuPalais wrote:

I remember chatting to Chris before the start of a long mountain stage back around then, he had fear in his eyes. I hadn't appreciated the environment in which he worked at the time and just thought he was being a bit of a wimp.
    Instagramme
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited October 2012
    davidof wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

I remember chatting to Chris before the start of a long mountain stage back around then, he had fear in his eyes. I hadn't appreciated the environment in which he worked at the time and just thought he was being a bit of a wimp.

I think there are a number of riders whose ethics and careers probably deserve even more respect in hindsight - Boardman, Hunt and Hammond to name several just from the Brit side - but plenty of others too.
  • 1996 was brutal. Perhaps the hardest stage was stage 7 which was filled with drama

Heulot who was a u-23 then (now DS saur sojasun) got into yellow earlier in the race. He tried to defend the jersey and was literally broken before the stage finished and abandoned in tears - he did have tendinitis in his knee (Visibly it's finished for Stepahen." comments Marc Madiot on the radio. ) Indurain also cracked on the climb - all sorts of things were blamed but the previous day had been a rain deluge all day with the finish into aix le bains (won by Bogey below) Indurain was struggling with the cold and a chink opened in his armour. With doping at its prime any weakness was exposed in an unforgiving way. Boardrman thought he might even have a chance of a top 10 in this tour. When he eventually went past us on the Roseland he looked like a 4th cat in a Premier calendar. Literally weaving in the road and still two climbs to go Not sure how he finished or even made the Pyrenees This was more than deux vitesse.

It was even a tough day for Berzin!! I think it was around this day Riis got his Mr 60% title.

Good account http://joepapp.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/1996-tour-de-france-stage-7-chambery.html

0.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Thanks for the info guys. Sounds brutal and PEDs having a large effect...I pity those clean riders who had to try and stay in contention.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

That was a great stage and tough by modern standards but you can't really compare it with the 'road' in the OP picture.
  • Pross wrote:

That was a great stage and tough by modern standards but you can't really compare it with the 'road' in the OP picture.

Alright, give them a cyclo cross bike!

cyclocross-mud.jpg
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    davidof wrote:

IMG_20120927_181909.jpg

Gino Bartelli battling with Louison Bobet on the Croix de Fer. They'd already tackled the Galibier and had the Cols de Porte, Cucheron and Granier ahead of them before arriving in Aix les Bains.

Bartelli punctures at the summit, DS Binda tells Bartelli to hang back for a group of 6 while Bobet and another rider battle on against a headwind to Grenoble. They come together at the foot of the Col de Porte where an exhausted Bobet cracks and finishes 9 minutes down on Bartelli.

WFT Bartelli doesn't even have a cable pull derailleur on his bike!

and the stage on video:-

http://www.ina.fr/sport/cyclisme/video/ ... ns.fr.html

Great stuff. Bartali had been 21 minutes behind Bobet 2 days earlier, completely written off, and in two epic stages took the yellow. All to the backdrop of Italy reeling on the brink of a revolution.... The French fans on that stage chucked snowballs at him, and some booed him when he crossed the line.

Some riders actually got off their bikes to flap their arms about to keep warm. A Belgian rider who punctured had to use his teeth to change his tyre as his fingers were so numb. Meanwhile Robic was so furious with the French fans who'd turned on him he got off his bike to chase one, and later broke down in tears when one of them gave him some stick.

Savage stage.

Guess who read "Road to Valor" a few months ago ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format