Well that was one almighty balls up!

jonomc4
jonomc4 Posts: 891
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
What an awful morning. Today I decided to use the newly converted commuter for the first time. It is a sirrus elite frame with a Sram Rival groupset, to which I added drop handlebars etc.

Trouble was I hadn't bothered to take it for a spin before using it - other than checking it with my eye and testing the brakes and gears.

I must have stopped about 8 times trying to get the handlebars at the right angle and the saddle to the right height. It was also totally weird and it is a relaxed frame geometry compared to the bike I have been using exclusively for the last 8 months (De Rosa 838).

On top of that I forgot to put on the mudguard and lights - that means a trip to the shops at lunchtime. The bike is still mightily awkward as well - and I really need to straighten the stem and raise the shifters.

On top of that I reckon my average speed was about 5mph lower than usual (not totally sure as I also forgot the bike computer) and it was shocking how many drivers pulled out in front of me etc. despite that fact I was in high Vis clothes (which I don't usually wear).

Here comes winter. And I am not ready for it.