Rockrider Big RR 29er £349

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,485
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Given that the spec of the Big RR 29er at Decathlon is identical to that of the 5.3 (which gets the thumbs up for a bike in the £300 bracket), does this look like a good value option if for some bizarre reason fixated on getting a 29er?

Clearly its not perfect, but for that price...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/big-rr-53-id_8202905.html

Matt
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    For £350 it doesn't look too bad as a starter bike considering some of the dross you see for sale elsewhere.

You could then shop about and upgrade as things break, or if you see a total bargain on some decent used kit.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    14.3kg, personally I think a heavy low speccd 29er is the worst of both worlds.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    But that makes no sense. Its lighter than the 26in 5.3 Rock rider which is a recommended buy at the £300 mark.

Matt
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Not my cup of tea, but its ok for the money with a good groupset and an ok starter fork that will see you around.

14kg is about right for this money and and i dont think its too bad actually, seeing as many £500 bikes come in around the 13kg mark on a 26" bike.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    I think it is decent enough for the money, yes the fork isn't the best but you will notice that less than you would on the same 26" version. I would have it over the 26" any day of the week.

Oddly enough I was looking at one as a commuter, but realised that was crazy so spent £100 on a 5.0 rigid instead. Hasn't left the house yet mind.....
  • lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    Ive had one for about a month now done about 350miles on it with no problems, its not a bad bike really the only thing i dont like is the rubbish fork, but i was riding a reba race earlier in the year, decent forks for a 29er dont come cheap and the second hand market isnt exactly bursting at the seams.

Dont get me wrong the fork works but there is play in the bushes from new and i checked the others in the shop and they were all the same, there is a bit of a top out clunk and the lockout IMO is useless, it locks the fork but if you hit anything thats cause the fork to compress slightly it snaps back to full extension with a terrible clunk.

For the money i cant complain.