S.A.D. Lights

steerpike
steerpike Posts: 424
edited October 2012 in The cake stop
Does anyone use one? Do they work? Any scientific evidence to back them up?

Comments

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,949
    No.
    Apparently.
    Not sure.

:D

I remember an Horizon program years ago where they showed them being used, and I think it said that they worked. At that time is was thought to be about light affecting the hypothalamus (or not as is the case).

The older I get, the better I was.

• Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I don't have one of the bedside lamps that wake you up gradually, although I would like one.

All the downstairs of my house (i.e. 'awake areas') uses daylight-coloured CFLs though - 6000K-plus and 23W (=105W in old money). You don't notice the difference until you try them... none of your 'warm white' or 'comfort white' around ~2700K - they just look yellow to me now and gives me headaches.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    The bedside 'lamp/alarm' clocks are really good. We have one and the kids also have one each. No more "OMG the alarm" type moments - you wake up slowly and eventually notice the light is on. Far better way to wake up.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Forget the lamps, get yourself some Vitamin D and start taking it now, sorted me with S.A.D. last year!
  • Girlfriend uses one - takes it to work in November and uses it as a desk light on high intensity for 15 mins/day. She swears by it. It comes home and gets put in the attic around March time. I personally cant vouch for it.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,438
    I suffer SAD but it was compounded by an underactive thyroid. Since then I am on Levothyroxin and Vitamin D. getting out on the bike especially in winter helps you produce Seratonin and Adrenalin which counteract the effects of SAD.

So get pedalling and get yer thyroid function checked before putting it all down to SAD.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Wife has one in the garage which she uses as a workshop (no natural light and lot of time spent there). Does work, although as has been mentioned also need Vit. D supplement.

Got hers from Maplin. Cheap enough, you can also buy higher output bulbs which help for around the house.

I work in Denmark a lot and they always have candles burning as a welcoming thing, but a colleague over there has said that a study by a uni stated they also help with SAD as the eye is drawn to the light.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,438
    symo wrote:
    ...the eye is drawn to the light.

So are moths !
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Have a look at the Lumie web site.

I've got one of their alarm clocks and think its great; I always wake feeling much fresher, rather than being shocked into life by a normal alarm. I've also got a desk light from Lumie, it's great during those dismal winter months.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved