Just done my first Sportive!

newjumper
newjumper Posts: 32
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Did the Evans Ride it Biggin Hill Sportive yesterday 15 Miles & lots of climbs tough for me at 59,but I did it!

Want to do some more now.I have a Giant Escape 3 that I recently bought,pretty heavy.

How much easier will climbs be on something lighter?

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Climbing is all about power to weight. If you and/or the bike get lighter it will be easier. To what extent depends on a lot of factors. Without knowing the weight of the bike I couldn't tell you, but if you went to a road bike you'd lose the 28x32 bailout gear which would mean more effort up hills initially until your fitness caught up.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • andy 3654
    andy 3654 Posts: 183
    Well done on your 1st, im yet to do my 1st one so may this be the 1st of many for you to enjoy.
  • GBR1
    GBR1 Posts: 97
    Hey Newjumper,

Congrats on your first sportive. I was there as well and had a great time.. It was my third sportive and I am already scouring the web looking for others to do, British Cycling web site has a pretty good list!!

There are 2 answers to your post above, the simple answer is yes being on a lighter bike will help but only if you are comfortable! The second answer is riding more will help more with the hills, its bit of a cliche on here and you can buy you way to a few extra seconds but riding time on the bike will take of minuets!

GBR1