1st big ride

andy 3654
andy 3654 Posts: 183
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Im going on my first big ride later today, would like to know what people thing of the route at the following link.

http://www.cycle-route.com/Cycle-Route- ... com/38357/

I thought that if its too much there are plenty of places where i can turn back home and not be overly too far away.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I don't know that area so I'm not sure what you want me to say, but total distance and elevation would be a start...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    says 95k at the bottom left of the map.
  • andy 3654
    well the 1st half of the route im not sure of as not travelled the roads but from Henly onwards its mostly flat with few minor inclines.
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    looks like a good route, lots of places to make a quick return if it doesn't go to plan.
  • Grill
    So it does, thanks didn't see it.
    Strikes me as an easy enough ride, especially if there's nothing catagorised. Don't look at all the little towns and villages as places to turn round, but rather to recharge if need be. As it's a loop once you're 30 miles in there is no going back.
  • andy 3654
    Ah but there are as I live in reading lots of roads to turn back on if it goes belly up.
    Im not sure how to or if there are any cat climbs on this route.
  • Grill
    I never save anything for the trip back ;)

You'll be fine. 60 should be a daily ride.
  • andy 3654
    Well ill be reporting back later today, just want it to stay dry.
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    hope all goes well. im sure you will love it
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    Good luck and take it steady, you'll feel better for completing it as opposed to flying off at the start and struggling at the end.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I only know the route your taking from Nettlebed back to Reading,and a nice route it is too,you shouldnt struggle to much as it's not that hilly,if you find your out of puff when you reach Henley you can always head towards Wargrave and then pick up the A4,Alternativly you can head out of Henley towards Hurley tackling Remenham Hill.....

And that certainly sorts the men from the boys.

Good luck...
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Not too familiar with the area, but you're on A roads most of the way and passing through quite a few small towns/villages. To me, that suggests traffic and traffic lights.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Looks pretty good, although the A4 back can be a bit crappy in places. If you want to extend it and make it nicer, you could sweep down to Workingham & Shinfield and avoid the A4.

I have cycled north, south and west of reading, but not ben over to the east as far as Maidenhead. I have driven the Marlow road from Henley a fair few times though and you do need to be careful as some drivers go a bit silly on that road!

I did a loop west of reading a couple of weeks ago that I really enjoyed - only a few miles more and you could chop it down by going through Kingsclere rather than Overton. http://connect.garmin.com/course/2203706 If you are interested. Mostly quiet roads and not too many hills.
  • andy 3654
    Thank you all for advice and words of encouragement, got back about hour ago. Unfortunately the web site mileage and my cycle computer don't agree, bike is saying 55.5.
    Either way I had fun and did it in 3 h 12 mins with average speed of 17.3 mph.
    Im very happy with the time as I did think I would take longer.
    Which is all good news as I really want to do London-Brighton next year.