Bike storage in high humidity/heat

auzdafluff
auzdafluff Posts: 2
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Hi everyone,

I've just moved flat and I'm getting sick and tired of my bike being in the way. In my old flat, there was a great recess where I could store my bike and it was out of the way.

This new flat has an amazingly large balcony, but storing it outside isn't a good idea where I live (Dubai).

I did it for about six months in my old flat, before being presented with a large repair bill to remove the rust and replace some bits and pieces.

The problem here is – in the summer in particular – it gets very hot, and very humid. The last couple of months have seen temperatures hit 40ºC-50ºC, and humidity sit at around 80%-95%. Even in winter, while the temperature is much more bearable at around 25ºC, humidity still hovers at around 30%-40%.

I want to store the bike outside on the balcony for space reasons, but I was wondering if anyone knew if the storage boxes you can buy would protect the bike from the humidity at the very least, as that's the biggest issue? Or is there another option I haven't considered?

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I take it your flat is air conditioned? I would have thought unless the storage box has some sort of de-humidifier or air conditioner it won't help. The storage bikes can shield bikes from moisture in the form of rain but when the moisture is in the air I'm not sure what else you can do?

What things did you have to replace on the bike? Possibly a better maintenance plan on your part might help?
  • If you're willing to spend the cash on a bike box then i suspect the bike is worth it. That leads me to think that it should be a full alloy frame etc.. after that then it should only really be the chain, "some" bolts & brake disc that rust.
    Use it once a week should keep disc rust down and lubing the chain up BEFORE you store when not in use should prevent water from getting to it.
    Anyway what i used to do for my motorbike when i store it was drape some old towels over it, then rap the tarpaulin over.
    I found the towels would help draw the vapour to them rather than bike. Will this will work for a normal bike i have no idea :idea: :?:

This is also a good idea for other Steel / iron you leave outside for more than a week Cars, Bikes, prams, etc.. WD40 / GT85 the bare metal areas to prevent the rust rather than fixing it later. :mrgreen:

P.s. SEND ME SOME SUN! it freezing in scotland 8)
  • Isn't 30-40% humidity pretty low?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Shouldnt be that much to rust on an alloy bike but you are worrying me now as I am heading home for the first time in 16 months and my steel frame hardtail has bee sat in my mates shed for all that time - is it going to be rusted to fudge?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Er, no.

When stanchions, bars, posts, rims ect were steel you'd be worried. Now possibly just chain, ring, cassette and bolt heads.