Hedges

confused@BR
confused@BR Posts: 295
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
It is that time of year. The harvest is in, fields ploughed & harrowed, time to sort out the hedges! Around my way most of the hedges are hazel, thorns like daggers! Had one through my, double Kevlar belted, Vittorio tyre this weekend, no problem! Try to avoid the worst of the debris by riding in the wheel tracks of the motorized traffic. It can be like a barbed wire entanglement!

Good luck.
'fool'

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Take a different route :?:
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I know what you mean :(

There's no getting away from it round here once they start!
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Apologies for being pedantic but Hazel does not have thorns.
    Most likely culprits are Blackthorn, Hawthorn or Dog Rose.
    It has been a season of vigorous growth so we can expect more than usual this year.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    It'd nice of them to sweep up afterwards :wink: ............like that's going to happen.
    You seem to get a month or so of chipping the roads, then after a few weeks the farmers come out to coat the surface with thorns, given the choice of country lanes or major roads the country lanes win everytime, plus those hedges do a damn good job of protecting me from the wind.
    The comment of changing your route is a joke, at this time of year it's a lottery to which lanes have been done, you just grit your teeth and get on with it and so far this year no *********.
  • No, you're right! I think the clue must be the word hawTHORN :) That will learn me for posting with a couple of glasses of Bergerac inside me.

There is a decided case involving someone with mobility difficulties being marooned in their recumbent by p*nct*res caused by a contractor who had not cleared the roadway. The contractor was held liable for the resultant problems.
    'fool'
  • Around here, I have been lucky to have seen all the hedge smashing go on a couple of weeks ago prior to the heavy rain for several days, which initially washed the roads with flint shards but has now swept the road completely clear of thorns etc.

Yesterday was like a summer day - nothing on the roads at all, just a fat bloke on a bike moaning about the prevailing wind direction all the time.