Canyon Nerve AM 9.0

Milko_
Milko_ Posts: 23
edited December 2013 in Your mountain bikes
After quite a few long sleepless nights searching through forums, magazines and blogs, I finally bought a bike!

And it is - surprise - Canyon! Canyon Nerve AM 9.0!
Thanks for the tips from the 'Buying advice section'!

dscf2305s.jpg

dscf2308s.jpg

So here goes my experience with it...
(Keep in mind this isn’t a professional review and I’m not an experienced rider so take what follows with a handful of salt)

The deal:
Initially two models caught my attention – Strive ES 8.0 and Nerve AM 9.0.
Canyon's Perfect Position System suggested I need size S, and at the time AM 9.0 which I really liked
wasn't available in small so I went ahead and ordered ES 8.0.

I don't usually spend that amount of cash on...on anything to be honest, so the next 24h were quite stressful.
Was it worth it? Is it the right model? I don't ride that aggressive yet! It weighs 14kg! Cahinguide is cool, but
what if I do XC? But I do mostly XC! It's not even Kashima! I could have gotten Reign 2 for half the price!

So the next day when I saw that AM 9.0 is available in size S again, my heart skipped a beat!
I called Canyon first thing in the morning, but only got a 'we are too busy' message, so I've send them and e-mail that
I'd like to change my order. Two hours later, I received a reply that changing the bike is not a problem and
half an hour later I received a new receipt and invoice for the AM 9.0. Awesome!

Then the devil on my shoulder spoke again...
Is this durable enough? How about jumps? Only 140 travel at the back! It doesn't even have a chainguide! It's not that different then my old Kona! It's not even Kashima! I could have gotten Reign 2 for half the price!

At which point my girlfriend threatened me if I say one more thing about if before I even see the bike she would
kill me in my sleep. So I've kept it quiet...but still checking websites, forums and rereading reviews on regular basis.

Delivery/Payment:
From Canyon's side - payment, invoices, info -everything was smooth. PPS did a good job on the sizing, as well,
I would have gotten M if it wasn't for it.
The bike was to be available in CW38 – no delays there. I was charged on the day they've send it out to UPS.
Same day I received tracking info from UPS, and by the time I've checked it the bike was already on the road.
It took I think 4 days for it to arrive. Tracking was quite accurate, so no surprises there either.
There was no visible damage on the bikeguard (cardboard box).

Assembly:
Assembly was a piece of cake,
it only took longer perhaps because I was exploring more than actually assembling.
The manual is very easy to follow if you need it.
Cable routing was okay, also no scratches on any of the parts.

First impression:
My first impression was how small the frame was at which point I was slightly worried about the fit,
but once I've attached the tyres and inflated the fork it stood up – silly me.
Without pedals the AM 9.0 is slightly heavier than my girlfriends Stumpjumper Comp 08, which annoys me a bit.

After pumping the fork and adjusting pressure and sag on both suspension units, I've started playing with the adjustments.
The 150 TALAS 32 FIT RLC is quite different then the forks I used to have (Bomber 55 '08, Float '07, Recon '10).
And it's trickier to set-up – that's for sure. Also it's quite sticky at the top or at least every first compression after 10min
idle time. This also makes setting up the sag difficult, I had compress it quite a few times until it ‘warms up’ and becomes smoother, also I think moving slightly when setting on the bike helps otherwise it stays in one position.

dscf2424s.jpg

First ride:
I went out for a spin few times after work just to get the feel of it. Check the fit, positioning of shifters, brakes etc.
It was also my first go at clipless (M985), so I thought it’s a good idea to get used to them as much as I can before the weekend. Riding around Glossop was quite fun, being clipped in was awkward at first, but I can feel I’m getting used to it – and it didn’t fell!

Yesterday my girlfriend and I did the High Peak Circuit (~25km. Glossop, Rowarth, Hayfield, Moor Lodge, Chinley Head, Broad Clough, Middle Moor, and back to Glossop.)
And I loved it!
It’s definitely easier on the climbs than my old Kona; even with 2.4 Schwalbe AM tyres.
The BB/chainrings are high enough for me to miss most of the stones, but in the same time it doesn’t feel as if I’m on a tractor…like my old Dawg. I felt more confident on the downhill sections; I can’t really tell if that was because I was clipped in or just the bike feels that much more responsive and the fork sitter.
The only place where I am pretty sure my confidence was rocked because of the pedals was on the heavily rutted and muddy parts when I often had to unclip the foot I had my weigh on.

The XTR derailleur is the nicest I ever had, shifts like clockwork and seems to put more tension on the chain as there’s much less slack noticeable compared to the Deore/XT I’m used to.

I didn’t expect RP2 to be any different than the old RP2, but it really does have that bottomless feel they attribute to the Boost valve. If it wasn’t for the O-ring I wouldn’t be able to tell if it’s working, sometimes I was switching from pro-pedal to open and back just to make sure it does.

Reverb is awesome! I used to think its overkill and only for spoiled rich kids, haha, but now…
It’s just that you ride more instead of fiddling with the gear – one less thing to break the flow.

Speaking of fiddling with gear…there is one think I’m not in love with – the fork (32 Talas RLC FIT 150 ‘12)
I don’t know how many rides I’m going to do before I set it up correctly.
It either kicks me back on the climbs or sinks halfway and moves only a bit when descending.
If I manage to setup the damping and compression – the sag is way out, if I pump it up to counter that – it doesn’t use all the travel.
I met few fellow riders on the trail and asked them if they had similar issues, and one of them did touch the controls after which the negative effects were slightly less noticeable (Thanks!).
So, I’m sure it’s me not it, but it’s still annoying.

dscf2426s.jpg

After the ride:
We’ve stopped by the local gas station to take most of the muck off the bikes before we take them home for further cleaning. There’s a ‘Final rinse’ with pressure only slightly higher than the shower at home which is helpful, after that – the usual mild soap and warm water treatment.

Stumpjumpers semi-matte frame is much easier to clean and dry mud doesn’t leave traces even if you just wipe it in parts because of the colour of course, however Canyon’s white glossy frame is a stain/dirt magnet.
After half an hour under the shower with it my girlfriend asked me ‘Aren’t you gonna wash your bike?’ :D
Wonder if should have gotten the ‘stealth’ version…

Overall – I’m happy, when I setup the Talas I will be even happier.

Any tips on the suspension or what to upgrade first will be much appreciated.
I was thinking maybe Hope brakes in the future and perhaps strip the 42T ring,
replace the 32T with 36T and mount a chainguide+bashguard?
Is 34/36 Talas on this frame worth it, once I start riding more aggressively that is?

Hope this was helpful to someone out there!
Thanks to those who offered/agreed to test ride their bikes and in return,
if anyone wants to see/try Canyon Nerve AM 9.0 in size S – you are welcome.
Looking for MTB buddy.

Comments

• nice bike have you thought of going for a job on one of the bike mags great review .
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Not too keen on that colour, but they look fantastic spec wise for the price!!

For the fork, I've found running a little less pressure in my floats then ramping up the Low-speed compression a fair few clicks helps with sensitivity, but keeps the fork high in the travel to stop it diving. Mine are Kashima with new low-friction seals, so they make a difference, but doing that should help a little.

As for upgrades, the 34 would be my choice for that bike, the 32 is not overly flexy if you are light, I'm 11 and abit stone and its fine for 90% of the stuff I do, but on the local DH courses they flex a little under hard cornering, so I'm considering the 34 as a future upgrade myself. If you don't ride too aggressively and are light, then the low-friction seals could be a worthwhile change, they probably make a bigger difference than the Kashima in all honesty.

Brakes, if you wanted to change them, I'd go for Xt or Xtr, no others I've tried come close.
  • Nice bike, I like the colour scheme. Got myself a second hand Nerve AM 7.0, this is my first full sus and what a difference with my Rockrider 8.1. The bike has given me more confidence, it seems to "swallow" roots and obstacles like they were not there. I can only imagine the 9.0 being even better.
    Just ordered a mech hanger as apparently i have been told they break quite easily (??). A bit dear for such a small part but I prefer to pay £20 and not being stuck miles away from my car.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • Milko_
    tarbot18 wrote:
    nice bike have you thought of going for a job on one of the bike mags great review .

Haha, thanks!
    Well, that plus some photography alongside and it would be a dream job,
    unfortunately I have to learn proper grammar and spelling first.
    lawman wrote:
    Not too keen on that colour, but they look fantastic spec wise for the price!!

For the fork, I've found running a little less pressure in my floats then ramping up the Low-speed compression a fair few clicks helps with sensitivity, but keeps the fork high in the travel to stop it diving. Mine are Kashima with new low-friction seals, so they make a difference, but doing that should help a little.

As for upgrades, the 34 would be my choice for that bike, the 32 is not overly flexy if you are light, I'm 11 and abit stone and its fine for 90% of the stuff I do, but on the local DH courses they flex a little under hard cornering, so I'm considering the 34 as a future upgrade myself. If you don't ride too aggressively and are light, then the low-friction seals could be a worthwhile change, they probably make a bigger difference than the Kashima in all honesty.

Brakes, if you wanted to change them, I'd go for Xt or Xtr, no others I've tried come close.

Hm, I think I'm actually doing exactly the opposite.
    I'll definitely give it a try, to be honest I can't wait to get home now.
    I don't know if I can upgrade to Kashima any soon, but I'll have a look at those seals.
    Would Mojo be a good idea or I should get the seals only and go to the LBS?
    jeannot18 wrote:
    Nice bike, I like the colour scheme. Got myself a second hand Nerve AM 7.0, this is my first full sus and what a difference with my Rockrider 8.1. The bike has given me more confidence, it seems to "swallow" roots and obstacles like they were not there. I can only imagine the 9.0 being even better.
    Just ordered a mech hanger as apparently i have been told they break quite easily (??). A bit dear for such a small part but I prefer to pay £20 and not being stuck miles away from my car.
    JC

Thanks,
    they don't seem to be that different, but it would be fun to compare if you are near my area.
    I forgot to get a spare mech hanger when switching orders lets hope I don't brake it soon.
    Looking for MTB buddy.
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Milko_ wrote:
    Thanks,
    they don't seem to be that different, but it would be fun to compare if you are near my area.
    I forgot to get a spare mech hanger when switching orders lets hope I don't brake it soon.

Well I am down in sunny Essex but who knows maybe one day you come down or I go up to Derbyshire...
    Ride safe
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Milko_ wrote:
    I don't know if I can upgrade to Kashima any soon, but I'll have a look at those seals.
    Would Mojo be a good idea or I should get the seals only and go to the LBS?

The general consensus seems to be that most of the increased small bump sensitivity on the latest fox forks is down to the low friction seals. They arent too expensive, so I would definately give that a go. To have your forks kashima'd would be expensive and I doubt whether it would make much difference.
  • I think you'll find your bike already has the low friction seals, mine does.

I have the same issues with you with the TALAS (I have Nerve AM 6, which has an Evolution RL 150 TALAS fork). Having spoken to a few of the well-known suspension shops, if you don't like it you (and if you don't care about travel adjust) convert to Float.

The problem is the TALAS fork is that it has loads of seals for the travel adjust feature which cause stiction. Kashima and low friction seals are apparently only an incremental solution, I am told the best solution is just to go Float.

The diving through the travel is partly due to the spring curve of Talas (not progressive) and probably you need to dial up the LSC as someone else said. Sadly I don't have that option on my fork
  • Milko_
    Hello again, It's been a few more rides...
    I got back home the other day and I found that my fork was set-up the way lawman described, apart from the
    slightly higher psi. I'm feather-light, only 55kg (8,6 stones), but when running the pressure set for my weight
    it's super insensitive hence the higher psi, think it helps a bit. So far there isn't a better configuration.

I am yet to see what seals the fork has...I assume I should check the service manual/website to see how to differentiate them. I would change them if it turns out I'm with the super-high-friction ones.

If not...
    Would anyone would want to swap Float (34/32 160/150 2012 ideally, haha) for 32 Talas 150?
    In general, if there's a sense in making a Sale/Swap threat...maybe I have to post it and see if not
    I'll see if it attracts any attention on ebay and decide if I can pay for the difference of a new one.

How does BOS Deville/Duroluxx compare to the 150 Float/Talas FIT RLC, anyone tried them both?
    Looking for MTB buddy.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    The fork should be more sensitive-move more at a lower psi
  • Milko_
    Sorry to bring this thread back to life, just wanted to pop in and say that
    my lovely bike was stolen from my house yesterday along with my girlfriends bike and a laptop.

I've listed it in the stolen section:
    viewtopic.php?f=10040&t=12951002

and it's been registered here as well:
    https://www.immobilise.com/view.php?sta ... id=7112440

Cheers,

Milko
    Looking for MTB buddy.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    In Oldham so I'll keep my eyes out for it in my neck of the woods.