First trip: London to Brighton. Help needed!

coldcookie
coldcookie Posts: 3
edited September 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hello everyone!

I have been wanting to do this for a while now and with the BHF London to Brighton almost a year away, me and my brother have decided to start our long distance cycling adventures with the classic London to Brighton bike route.

Weather permitting, we plan to do this in the next 6-8 weeks. I know the timing could have been better - but its never a bad time to start ha?

Trouble is, we are hopelessly inexperienced in terms of cycling outside of central London. We have been using our bikes for commuting and shopping trips, but never for anything ambitious. Using Cycle Streets website we have mapped a route from London to the SeaLife Centre in Brighton. We chose the 'quietest route' option on account of our aforementioned inexperience. You can see that route below:

http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/4560751/#quietest

I am sure there is no lack of experience on this forum - can someone help us out? A critique of the bot generated rout, along with tips any experiences (both good and bad). How bad are the roads in terms of motorists? I can't figure out speed limits on the roads we will be using. I would be very nervous of cars flying past us at 60mph...

So thanks very much for reading this rather long post and I look forward to hear what you have to say!