one-to-one cycle training

Southgate
Southgate Posts: 246
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
I will soon be taking a cycling instructor course and then I plan to offer one-to one training as well as group training. I'm finding it hard to gauge the potential market and would love to hear your thoughts. As well as teaching beginners to ride, I am also intend to offer more advanced training, such as how to ride safely in London traffic, taking primary position, climbing, descending, etc. This training would be aimed at intermediate cyclists who perhaps wanted to commute, but lacked the skills / confidence. I would expect to charge around £60 - £70 for a two hour one-to-one session, and I'd advertise on the net and via Local Bike Shops (LBS).

1. Do you think there's a demand for this service, e.g. is it something you think the people you know, family / friends / partner / colleagues etc, would consider, if like a lot of people they wanted to cycle to work, but were too scared.

2. If not, why not? Is it the cost? No perceived need for training?

3. Have you (or someone you know) paid for cycle training, and did it meet expectations / value for money etc?

Many thanks!
Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I don't think there is anything there that cannot be gained easily for free from other sources. Sure, you can say that about a lot of things - but this is primarily info. There maybe some nervous riders who may be interested, but not at that price, is too much.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    I personally don't think there's a strong enough market for it, people will just hop onto a bike - Skyride's offer a free service where you can go ride in a group - this will help with peoples confidence. And what with so many cycling paths now this is becoming less of an issue.

Regarding climbing/decents, why would this be such a necessary for someone who's commuting/town cycling? They'd just be as happy to jump off and push it up.

You'd be much better spending a few more bob and becoming a qualified trainer to help with racing techniques, that would benefit 1 to 1 a lot more and people would probably be more willing to pay better money for it.
  • Thanks for the responses. It would only be a sideline, not a main source of income, so I don't need x number of customers to make it a viable business. I'll offer whatever training the customer demands - what I posted was just some examples.

I'd like at some point to offer racing coaching, but I think I need some race experience myself, at the very least at CAT 1 or CAT 2 level, to be credible. Right now I'm just a reasonably competent club cyclist who does a lot of miles.
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • Check if you local Council offers Bikeability, then find out if they have a preferred supplier, employ trainers directly or put the work out to tender. If there is a preferred supplier, find out if they pay Ad Hoc trainers. You are likely to get more work this way, than from adverts. Also you LBS might not be too keen to display your adverts as many also double as trainers and may see this as taking their business.
    Where do you live ? From my investigations into this, London is too well covered, but most other places have more opportunities. Also, do you have children, or close relatives who are Bikeability age ? Find out if their school offers training and try approaching the head directly.
  • Thanks Mr Cellophane, great advice. Much appreciated. I do have some good school-aged contacts in my family and I also know a local head teacher who is in my cycle club. I don't know how much business I'd get from LBS's, but I'm friends with two or three so hopefully they'll be willing to stock a few leaflets.