cross fell loop, wed 3rd oct

oodboo
oodboo Posts: 2,171
edited October 2012 in MTB rides
I'm at centre parcs next week with the family and got a pass out for Wednesday. Planning on riding this loop:
http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/rr004.html

Any tips, etc or anyone in the area want join me?
I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava

Comments

• That is one seriously tough ride with lots of hiking :!:
    Last time I rode this route the track down to Gregs Hut was so eroded we ended up walking mot of that :!:
    The track along the river bank was almost non existant then and given recent years weather unlikely to have improved. You also need to cross and re-cross due to this erosion, if there has been any heavy rain this could be made more difficult :idea:
    I have done it the opposite way, climbing the radar station access road is a tough Tarmac job.

There is another, shorter option which is to follow the route as is to Gregs Hut. There is a track(ish)to the right, behind the Hut up onto the top of the hill. Follow this for a bit and when you start descending look out for a vague trail off to your right. Vaguely remember it being marked by a stone on the ground? Bit wet'n boggy to start with but becomes better after a few hundred yards :lol: Think it leads back into Kirkland without looking at the map. Bit shorter but just as much fun :wink:

Beware low cloud, got caught once, scary......
  • oodboo
    Decided against it after all the rain, went up to dabeattie instead and knacked myself galling down the slab.

Strava
  • My local :lol:
    I avoid the Slab for that very reason, have seen the consequences :roll:
    How "knacked " are you :?:
    Came across a guy who had fallen off the Log on, Log off section a few weeks back and stayed with him till paramedics and later helicopter arrived to airlift him to hospital :(
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z-RlYTmNNM
  • oodboo
    Just scratched myself up a bit. Rode back to the car then drove back to Penrith before going hospital the cleaned up and stitched. I've rode down the slab before so this was a good practical lesson in the difference in grip between the minions on my enduro and the worn OEM race kings on my 29er.

Strava