120mm fork in Carrera Kraken

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Supsect this is one for SS, frame is a 2006 Carrera Kraken, same as a 2006-2011 Vulcan, will it take a 120mm fork (hoping to convert my Manitou Skareb to 120mm from 100mm as I have some parts of a 120mm Sliver).
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• What exactly is your question?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeah, will be fine, the geo was the same as the old Fury if i remember rightly, and they had 130mm Toras.

Pretty sure the Skarab can't be converted though! Not with Skarab stanchions.
  • The Rookie
    OK thanks for answering both....

I'll let you know about the Skareb once it's apart!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    You were right, 100mm max, or about 105mm after a little 'fettling', had a chance to inspect the SPV compression damper, not impressed that the amount of volume adjustment falls well within the variation in fluid level making it meaningless, may just fit the spare air valve cap I have for a left hand and save some weight!

For info what restricts travel is that the bushings start so far down the lowers that if you increase travel by more than the 5mm I have the stanchions will lift to far up clear of the bushes, the stock actuation rod for the airspring also limits travel and although I could have modified the one from a Sliver there was no point.

I increased travel by 5mm by cutting away one donut of the rebound stop. Be nice to get an extra bush section to insert allowing me to increase travel considerably!