very very low kerbing gives me my first off

jimmies
jimmies Posts: 156
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I'm riding along and my the outside of my right foot is hurting (....I'm in the process of trying to set my cleat positions)......so I decide to pull over and check my cleats - I unclip my left foot ready to stop, pull off the road via a petrol station turn in and was planning to stop on the path just past the turn in - to get to the path there was a very very low kerb stone to go over.......I didn't think anything of of it as I expected the wheel to just roll up it but I'm guessing due to the fact my weight was slightly further forward as I was getting ready to dis-mount, the wheel stopped dead and my rear wheel shot up and the bike decided to twist/turn to the right (foot still clipped in side !!!) and I go over, damaged right brake lever, heavily scratched rear mech and worst of all and big chip out of my paint on my 1 month old Planet X RT57 chainstay. Booooooo. don't 'think' I have damaged the carbon...... :cry:

The hanger was also bent in but I think I've managed to hammer it straight. One thing that did surprise me was when taking the hanger off, was just how light the rear mech is (Sram Force)....It has been a while since I've had to take one off (19 years) and I was very surprised.....almost doesn't feel heavy enough to be metal

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Unlucky there bloke, as least you are ok though which is the main thing, bikes can be fixed. Personally, I would buy a new hanger as they are made of alu and the material does not like reforming too much (there will be small invisible stress fractures all over yours now). The hangers are there to act like a release valve protecting your chainstays, etc., from getting bent so yours did its job by the sounds of it. There are a few good websites so you won't need to spend more than £20 (ish).
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's always worth having a spare hanger or two in your toolbox; you may have your bike for years, who knows for how long you'll be able to get new hangers? Pretty much the only spare part that isn't always easy to source.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    was going to say the same. hangers are designed to failsafe and its a good idea to replace it. happened to me on a low speed fall off
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    DesWeller wrote:
    It's always worth having a spare hanger or two in your toolbox; you may have your bike for years, who knows for how long you'll be able to get new hangers? Pretty much the only spare part that isn't always easy to source.

I've never thought about that, I had an off last week on the mountain bike. Didn't manage to bend the hanger (luckily) but it's a good point and I think I'll try and get hold of one.

My bike is from 2009 and Scott changed the frames on the Spark this year.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • jimmies
    jimmies Posts: 156
    Taking the above into account....I have ordered a couple of hangers from Planet X

cheers guys